I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

inscribing rods
Posted by: Bill Copeland (---.msn.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 12:07PM

Seeking advice on the best way to inscribe signatures/names on a rod. I am using a gel pen - problem seems to be what to seal it with. I have been using epoxy (same as on wraps) but it seems to take about 3 coats for it to even out. Any susggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inscribing rods
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 20, 2007 12:14PM

If you are having trouble with leveling, you are probably using way to much finish and/or your rod isn't perfectly level
Level the blank so that the centerline of the blank is level. Just apply the finish while handturning and when it's covered stop turning and wait for the sags to hang from the bottom. Remove the sags and rotate 180 degrees and let sag and remove again. Do this ubtil their are no longer any sags and then you can turn on the dryer if you use one. You will get a perfect finish everytime. Resist messing with it once it's on.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:06PM

Bill......
I have been using a fine tipped pen, with Testors paint for my signatures and inscribing names.....then I cover it with a coat of FlexCoat High Build....been doing it that way for about five years...works for me !!

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Posted by: Bill Copeland (65.54.154.---)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:29PM

The high build formula may be the ticket. I have been using Flex Coat Lite. The problem has not been so much "leveling" as just getting a good smooth coat of epoxy. I'll try it - Thanks..Bill

Date: January 20, 2007 01:34PM

Bill,

ALL epoxy (lite, Hi-build, any brand) will level perfectly if applied properly. It has to, it's a liquid. The key is not to mess with it after you apply it except to remove the sags.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Copeland (65.54.154.---)
Date: January 20, 2007 03:57PM

Mike,

Thanks for your input. I think what I'm trying to get over is, by using the epoxy lite, I was not getting a full enough coat for it to be smooth on all sides. I'm not sure what was causing it, but it had a slight "ripple" effect - which pretty much smoothed out on the second or third coat. I am heating the epoxy , using a dryer and applying it with a small brush. You would expect the initiaI coat over a guide wrapping (using lite epoxy) to not be perfectly level but I thought it should be more so over the inscription. I built bass rods for years and used a heavy build - one coat epoxy and never remember having this problem. I am relatively new at building fly rods and have just recently started back building rods after several years away from it. I appreciate your help and I will probably be calling on you again!..Bill

Date: January 20, 2007 03:59PM

Gotcha!! I thought you were talking about wavy finish

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster