I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Flyrod....
Posted by: MaryLou VandeRiet (---.mesh.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 08:32AM

Good Morning Gentlemen...
I ordered my very first flyrod yesterday from Mudhole, and this is the start of a new adventure !!
I have been building bass, crappie and saltwater rods in the past, so now it is time for another addition...
I bought a kit to begin with...a 9 foot, 8 wgt..2piece....it is for my brother and that is what he wanted.....traded out a 1939 Missouri License Plate for it....
The kit is comprised of a ATC Matrix rodblank....St.Croix Handle Kit...ATC FlyGuide Set....
I will be heading to Montana again this August and will also been building a flyrod for myself....Wooo-Hooo !!
I am at a loss for what kind of reel, should I should buy....so if you all could give me some input on reels, I would appreciate it !!
Many Thanks......
MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Flyrod....
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: January 20, 2007 09:49AM

That's an easy one, I'd look at the Pfleugers. President, Trion, or Summit depending on budget and where you are fishing.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 11:07AM

MaryLou,
I sent you an email on this subject.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 11:23AM

MaryLou, the reel should balance with the rod and be able to handle the fish. For an 8wt Pfleuger is OK, Cabellas also has some good choices. Having fished Montana, (actually every state west of the ole Miss), with a fly, an 8wt is a bit stout for most of what you’ll likely encounter. Eight weight rods are mostly for BIG fish, I use an 8 for salmon & steelhead here. Mostly for trout I use a 4wt, but would recommend a 6wt for most beginners, (I've been winging fly’s for 20 years or better). But back to reels, just stay away from the 40 dolor models and you should be in business, my personal fav’s are Lamson, Ross, and Tibor. There a bit spendy, as most stuff associated wit fly fishing is, but are of good quality and balance well with most rods in class. Keep us posted on you’re progress.

Keith

Date: January 20, 2007 11:34AM

Keith.....
I am building a 6wgt for myself for my trip to Wyoming and Montana........and the 8 wgt is for my brother, who will be fishing in Missouri..
Like my bass fishing reels, I have never wasted my money on cheap reels, always bought the best I could afford..!!
Thank you all for the great input.....I know this is is going to be fun !!

MaryLou

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 20, 2007 01:46PM

marylou. ross is the big name when it comes to high quality, midrange in price and long standing hardiness. their worldwide series are importaed but based on their own tested designs of the past and a nice price at $60 and under. but the cimmarron (not ross worldwide) is a nice deal and often suggested, the evolution is out of my price range but wins accolades, and very light but looks like a kitchen sink strainer to me ;-). i personally like my galvan (OB series). waterworks-lamson makes nice reels. i have a radius 1 which has developed some drag issues but lamson wil fix it and overall they make nice reels for the price. look at the velocitys.

for my stream trout fishing in the sierra where i fish 3, 4 and sometimes a 5wt, i would choose something like an orvis battenkill BBS (i have the cast AL model which works fine too). both are $100 or lower. all i really need is a click and pawl reel but those days are long gone with the advent of of large arbor everything and disc drags. a domestically produced reel (besides the galvan) whihc could fit your 6wt needs is the teton/tioga series.

there are many good reels out there. what type of fishing will you do in montana? it's a big state i hear, various forms of fishing available...

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: January 20, 2007 02:22PM

Eric......
Thank You for your input......I will be fishing for trout in Montana.........
Montana is not a big state......it is a hugh state !!
Seems Montana always gives me a reason to go back !!

MaryLou Van de Riet
Weatherford,Texas USA

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 20, 2007 06:24PM

i started dreaming of montana lately... of fly fishing montana. i never dreamt of fishing before. weird. email me, i can send you to a forum which might help you address your needs if you're looking for gear info.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2007 10:03AM

I own several Tiogas, and numerous spools. And, while I've not fished them in Montana, I've fished them extensively on the White River in AR, where they regularly subdue trout over 20". For the price, I doubt you can find a better reel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster