I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Nova Middi chuck ????
Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 10:59PM

The standard jaw set that comes with the Nova Middi seem to only hold stock of about 1 3/4 inchs.

What jaws sets do you use with your Middi ?

Thanks,
Andy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nova Middi chuck ????
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:06PM

Nearly all the various chuck makers offer spigot jaws that will close down all the way. A very worthwhile investment in my opinion.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (216.166.138.---)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:09PM

What do you need to grip? There are quite a few different jaw sets available for the chuck, so knowing what you need to grip is important to answer your question. For making reel seat inserts and grips, I never use any jaws, only the jaw slides to hold the mandrels.

Posted by: Andy Kelpsa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:13PM

Maybe I should have been more clear.

I bought a Nova Middi Chuck for my jet.

I would like to get a set of jaws that could hold a piece of wood stock that is 1 1/2 inches oe 1 1/4" in diameter so I can bore out the piece usjing a jacobs chuck mounted in the trailing stock so then I could mount on a mandrel.

Thanks,
Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 11:14PM by Andy Kelpsa.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:24PM

Teknatool is coming out with a set of soft jaws for this chuck this Feb. Here is part of the email I got from them.

NEW PRODUCT EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW

NOVA Soft Jaw set

EXCLUSIVE to Nova news readers, a sneak peek at a hot new limited edition product launching in Feb 07.

NOVA Soft Jaws are 4 segments of soft nylon jaws which are able to be cut and customised by the user to their specific requirements. It is designed to allow woodturners make up a special set of jaws for a job and store them away with the jigs and templates for the project. Perfect for those projects that you go back to again and again. But they are so inexpensive that it makes them perfect for those one off projects and experiments too!

As always, NOVA makes it easy for you with our universal fitting - these accessory jaws fit onto any chuck in the NOVA range. Only NOVA offers this flexibility.

The four segments of quality nylon can be accurately turned to shape using standard tools. Easy to use, they can be turned, sawn, drilled or tapped. Being made of nylon, they also hold most woods without marking. The vibrant NOVA red colour makes it easy to see profiles. You can get full diameter holding on your specific work piece as you can turn out to the exact diameter required. The result is a very positive holding without marking your work.

With all these features, the US retail price of the NOVA Soft Jaw Set is unbelievable $9.99, so you can afford to stock up and experiment!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster