I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spatula help
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 10:09PM

ok im starting to use a spatula to apply my finish and im having a problem....

im using Dura Gloss LS Supreme finish and a metal spatula that i purchase from @#$%&

when i apply the finish it goes on good under the spatula but when i move it it starts to create lines (raised lines of finish) from the edge of the spatula...i have to hand turn to apply it as i dont have a motor yet... it somewhat levels but still have raised lines

how can i fix this? (right now im trying to apply a thin layer of finish to an underwrap) i havent tried it on the rod and going to do it on because i want to correct my mistake before i do it on that rod(ive been doing it on a rod that i dont use till i get it to level out straight)

any help/suggestions are all much appriciated...thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spatula help
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2007 10:25PM

i have not seen those spatulas but i always use a spatula the exact width of the wrap or slightly smaller. if i use a narrow spatula on a wide wrap i get those lines. i make my spatulas out of what seem like an endless supply of those fake credit cards that get sent in junk mail from the credit card companies. i cut them to the proper width then put a little taper in the end so it is maybe one or two milimeters narrower than the wrap.

Date: January 18, 2007 10:58PM

ahh ok ill try that then...haha yeah ive got a couple of those sitting on the table right now :)

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 18, 2007 11:21PM

The lines you speak of will even out but you can apply faster with a wider applicator on large areas. If you are turning by hand you can also apply the epoxy along the length of the wrap rather than around it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: January 18, 2007 11:38PM

i never thought about doing it length wise instead of around that might be the ticket

when you level the blank do you level it where the part that faces straight up is level or level as in from the middle of the butt to the middle of the tip? (not sure if that sounds right haha)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 19, 2007 12:26AM

Level the blank so that the centerline of the blank is level. Just apply the finish while handturning and when it's covered stop turning and wait for the sags to hang from the bottom. Remove the sags and rotate 180 degrees and let sag and remove again. Do this ubtil their are no longer any sags. You will get a perfect finish everytime. Resist messing with it once it's on. A drying motor is not necesaary. I have half a dozen and never use them until an hour after I apply finish. Works for me.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 19, 2007 07:13PM

mike i did what you said and WOW it came out excellent! leveled great and no bubbles...i definately like the Dura Gloss LS Supreme a lot better than flex coat and with the metal spatula i get a lot less bubbles when mixing as matter of fact i only got like 3 or 4 small bubbles while mixing when i usually get a load of them with a stir stick

thanks for all the help gentlemen its much appriciated

Date: January 19, 2007 11:25PM

ok the epoxy has been on for about 9 hours now....can i wait till it cures to do my over wraps or do i have to do my over wraps and then epoxy them asap before the underwrap cures?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster