I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

finish question
Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.rb2.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 10:05AM

Greetings to all

I have a question related to finish. I was using Thread Master for thew first time, I like the stuff, but was adding a decal, one of the American Tackle fish decals. When I put the finish on, the decal came up.
I thought the decal was stuck pretty good, 2 of the fins came up and part of the decal delaminated.
I guess this is a multi-part question
a. operator error?
b. American Tackle decals don't like Thread Master?
c. the decals fault?
d. find something else to blame, like the dog.

Thanks

Eric Sjo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: finish question
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 10:12AM

Usually if I have trouble with a stick-on decal, it's because I got my fat greasy fingers in the way.

Try using a pair of tweezers to remove the decal from the backing to place on the rod. For these pressure sensitive decals, try using a foam roller, or rub it out with a rag to make sure the edges have made good contact. Should be good to go after that.

Terry

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 10:31AM

I use that decal system almost daily. If you positioned the pressure sensitive transfer on the rod with the plastic top covering still in place and thoroughly burnished all the edges until you see the little cloud around the edge of the decal completely dissappear with a Gudebrod burnishing tool or something similar you will not have problems. After all edge surfaces are sealed in place remove the top plastic sheet in one direction by a smoothe pull. I have no reason other than procedure but I wait at least an hour before applying finish after the plastic sheet removal. If the edges are not sealed the fish decals will behave as you describe.

My choice for the correct answer to your question is: Modified A - technique - sounds better than error - good luck on next try!

Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.rb2.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 11:07AM

Thanks for the help, I should have said before that I have put a dozen or more of these decals on before with no gremlins interfering before, the only differance was that I was using LS Supreme enstead of Thread Master.

I may have used to much pressure during application.

Thanks

Eric Sjo

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 11:37AM

When all else fails - blame the dog! I've used the AMTAK pressure sensitive labels under Threadmaster with no problems many times now.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 11:44AM

Eric,

I don't think you CAN exude too much pressure on this type of decal without destroying it.

I finger my decals all the time, never had a problem with the fish type. I place the decal on, rub it down as hard as my fingers will let me, then I take the round part of my burnishing tool and scrub the decal real well with it, epsecially around the edges. I use Threadmaster, the finish isn't the problem. I've even laid these down OVER BARE thread this way-just asking for trouble! I wouldn't recommend this! but I've done it none the less. 2-part finish contains NO solivent and it wont attack the backing of the decals, BUT it will work under the decal and loosen them IF they are not burnished well.

DR

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 12:06PM

Pretty much the same as Bill & DR. While the top covering is still on use your burnishing tool to thoroughly hit every single spot on the decal and the area around the decal. I usually burnish from the center out and then be sure I hit every single outer edge...especially the thin edges like fins. As Bill said, try to completely burnish away the top coat 'halo' from around the decal. After a good minute or so of burnishing I let the decal sit for another couple of minutes before peeling the top coat away. No problems in finishing.

Darn dog!

Jay

Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.rt-bras.ob.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 12:09PM

I am working on another rod now, that I am planning to use another decal on, guess I'll try again, just wanted to find out if there was a problem with compatability.
There are always to many variables to just blame one thing.

Eric Sjo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster