I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

varying drill rpm's with the RL100
Posted by: Bill Haffey (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 07:55PM

Just bought the Flexcoat RL100. I've got a corded 3/8" drill that I'll use with it and - although it's a variable speed drill - it will be difficult (if not impossible) to work the trigger to vary the speed when I've mounted it on the drill stand.

What I'd like to do is put some sort of device in line with the drill's power cord to allow me to vary the speed while I'm turning cork handles. I checked with the local Home Depot and they absolutely discouraged the use of a standard 'dimmer switch' for that purpose. Do you recommend another approach?

Thanks for any help --

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: varying drill rpm's with the RL100
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 07:59PM

Probably because of the amp rating. What IS you amp rating? I may have foot controls at a decent price that will work.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2007 08:00PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 08:22PM

Bill,

If you tighten down the drill trigger (say with a piece of velcro) and plug the drill into a sewing machine foot pedal you'll probably be able to get the speed control you require. Some years ago. I modified my wife's sewing machine foot pedal for just this purpose, by adding a female plug to the correct foot pedal cord.

Stan

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:13PM

Does the trigger not have the little round thing on it that can be tightned down to various RPM's for "finger free" operation? Basicly a constant on switch which you can also adjust the rpm's. If not you might be able to use a small screw type hose clamp.

TJ

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:27PM

HOSE CLAMP!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 09:28PM

Guys, I think he's trying to vary speed while turning.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.ssimicro.com)
Date: January 15, 2007 12:06AM

What about using a router speed control?

[busybeetools.ca]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 12:59AM

I have used an old sewing machine foot pedal with the drill plugged into it. In the long haul it may be bad for the drill but mine has lasted 5 years with no problem. Good luck.

Stan

Posted by: Bill Haffey (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 07:00PM

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I also got a response from John Anderson at FlexCoat -- one of his recommendations was also the router speed control. He offered to look into several manufacturers to see if they'd work with an electric drill. (I looked up the one at busybeetools.ca -- it's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind).

Again - thanks for taking the time with me.

Bill

Posted by: Fred Blake (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2007 07:06PM

Ditto on the sewing machine pedal. When I first stared I made a crude grip lathe powered by a 3/8" VSR drill. I would get SWMBO to run the drill while I shaped grips and would tell her to slow down and speed up as needed It worked OK, but my motor control soon went on strike and I had to come up with an alternative. I bought a sewing machine pedal at the local goodwill store for less than $2.00, took it home and hard wired the drill into the side of the pedal marked "machine". It worked just fine for right at a year, and then I built another grip lathe with a proper headstock and such. Offly enough, all my mandrels where sized to fit either a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drill chuck so I made an adapter which was a #1 morris taper with a short solid shank threaded to accept my keyless drill chucks. I then drilled and tapped the back end to accept a draw bolt and went to work. I later bought a 3 jaw chuck for the lathe, but never really found a situation where my drill chuck mandels wouldn't get the job done.

I'll do the stupid thing first, then you shy people can follow. -FZ-

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2007 11:35PM

Rather depends upon the amperage of your drill, and whether you want a variable speed via foot control or a tabletop dial. Easy enough to find a dial control,,, harborfreight occasionally has sales on router speed controls that will handle 10-15 amps (depending upon the model). [www.harborfreight.com] for example

A variable speed foot control is a bit trickier just because the most common ones have rather low amperage capacities. Sewing machine versions usually are only rated for a few amps, which is lower than most all electric drills. Might work, but I bet they can get quite hot in use. The discontinued Dremel 221 foot control goes up to 5 amps and can still be found occassionally on @#$%&. Some generic ones on @#$%& (gray metal) can look identical, but some are only 2 amp capable, even when they have identical housings to those capable of 5-6 amps. Foredom FCT and SCT foot controllers can handle up to 4 amps. Oddly enough, some of the pedal speed controls for manicure usage are rated up to 6 amps. Picked one up to play with on @#$%& for $15+$5 shipping. Haven't played with it yet though.

Oh and beware some of the @#$%& guys. At least one supposed 'speed controller' I looked at was actually just an on/off switch and not a rheostat/potentiometer.

Hope that helps. As you can probably tell, I've been doing a bit of searching on the topic recently myself :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster