I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Glue Problems
Posted by: Mike Riggs (---.dhcp.rxbo.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 06:36PM

Greetings! I've been experiencing hardening issues with my last two batches of Flex Coat gluing. I've never experienced this and am wondering if the issue could be related to the cooler temperatures we are experiencing?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Glue Problems
Posted by: mike arnold (---.mannford.ok.mbo.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 06:56PM

Hey Mike
I bought some flex cote high build a week ago and used it and within 4Min it was already rock hard i would like to find out whats up with it also.Have you used any of the finish? and have you had any problems with it?
Thanks Mike

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 07:01PM

I use the finish all the time and just opened a new kit last week. No problems here although I do find in cooler temperatures it takes longer to set up.

Date: January 13, 2007 07:08PM

Sorry for any confusion guys, I am referring to the two part epoxy glue and not the finish. I've used both for year with zero issues. Just perplexed and wondering if I need to throw the two new bottles away and start over...thxe

Date: January 13, 2007 07:08PM

Sorry for any confusion guys, I am referring to the two part epoxy glue and not the finish. I've used both for year with zero issues. Just perplexed and wondering if I need to throw the two new bottles away and start over...thxe

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 07:21PM

More than likely the temp. Has it been stored in a really cold area? Are you seeing any crystals or anything weird in the resin bottle? Take the bottles in the house and allow them to get to room temp, or even let them sit in a cup of warm water, then mix up a small batch and leave it in a warm room to set up. See if you get a different result.

I doubt it's the product. I've shipped gallons and gallons of the stuff over the years and never had a return from a problem like this.

Same goes for the finish issue mentioned above. Four minutes??? Never heard of such a thing. Something was WAY to "hot" in the mixture. I'd do a test batch with the same controls listed above sans the hot water, and see if you get the same results. I've accidentally mixed glue hardener with finish resin but still never had anything go off anywhere near that fast.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 13, 2007 07:36PM

It has been stored in my garage which is subject to cold temperatures this year but definitely not freezing. Today's temp was approaching 70 and I made another attempt with the same results. I've since brought the glue inside and warmed as you described. Will mix up a sample and see.....thx

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2007 08:40PM

At cooler temps, it will require a lot longer to set. As an example, for every 20F change, up or down, from about 70F, you either halve or double the set time.

So if you're working with epoxy that has been in a garage at say, 50F and doing the work in the same area, then you can expect double the set and cure time. Of course, if you keep it warm and you're working in a warm area, it should not be affected.

Date: January 14, 2007 08:41AM

*** Results of my test*** I brought the glue inside, warmed it to room temperature and did a test set. Same results, the glue has not hardened. It must be possible for cold temperatures to alter the chemical nature and affect it's ability to harden. Does this sound possible? thx

Date: January 14, 2007 11:52PM

False alarm by rod building friends. Twenty years of building and I've finally done it. I realized today that I incorrectly used the Flex Coat finishing resin and not the glue hardener. Duh! There is no problem with the the glue..... My recommendation, if you buy the same size and type of glue and finish, keep them separated in your work shop.......DUH AGAIN! Thanks everyone

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2007 11:58PM

Could have been worse. I've done it w/finish. How about Part "A" for two parts on a 4 hour butt wrap? Don't feel bad! lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster