I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sulky Metallic
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 02:33PM

Have any of you had Sulky Metallic trim wraps expand / come loose as you apply 811 CP to them? I had a double trim wrap of a Sulky Cooper come loose from the application of 811. Cut the whole thing out and rewrapped at a little higher tension. The trim is going on with a Gudebrod Garnet thread base.. Same thing happened. Cut the whole thing out and re-did it with a 'nail-knot' trim. Same thing. This is a decorative wrap that I am putting on a metal fly rod case. It is not real important but it has become kind of a personal challenge. I believe the case is Aluminum. The same Cooper Metallic went on the guide wraps on the blank just fine. Any thoughts? Tahnks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sulky Metallic
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: January 13, 2007 06:51PM

Steve, I can't imagine what is going on. I just did 8 of them last night with Sulky metallic gold with no trouble. Are you brushing the wrap? I dribbled 811 on and then dabbed excess with a brush.

I've had nail knots blow apart all the time, but not from CP.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 13, 2007 07:30PM

Chuck, I have brushed them on. But the last two times it has been a very straight / drip type brush. I spatula all my epoxy finish work. I will try it again here with a spatula and just drip it on. This is very puzzling to me and that usually means there is a very simple solution. lol I could have wrapped an entire fly rod in the amount of time I've spent on this. Thanks

Posted by: Paul Gerdtz (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 14, 2007 02:45AM

Is the Gudebrod thread NCP If so why do you need CP?? I had the same thing Happen to me about 10 years ago and I havent used CP since and have had no colour fading issues!! But I mostly use Metalics or NCP thread.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: January 15, 2007 08:38AM

dont know if it is due to NCP threads, but when i apply CP to nylon, there is no problems.. CP on NCP threads, then it becomes loose..

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster