I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

StandUp Rod...Guide sizes
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2002 07:36PM

I am looking into buying the lamiglass BSU66 5E which is a 5'6'' rod rated for 50-130 pound test. How many and what size guides will I be looking for? I am using Fuji heazy duty casting and boat guides.

I was thinking something along the lines of 25, 20 and then 12's on out. Will this work?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: StandUp Rod...Guide sizes
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 29, 2002 08:01PM

If you are wrapping a rod rated for 80 to 130 pound test and plan on using line of that size and on large fish I would really seriously get a set of roller guides.

What you list should work okay if you are stuck on ceramic guides for it but I would try to keep the guides away from the reel very low to reduce the torque effect they will have if you use higher framed types. This means you'll need to use more of them to keep the line off the blank but on a rod that heavy it shouldn't hurt anything. I'd try #10's if it was me. But again I would be using roller guides on such a rod.

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2002 10:32PM

I do not need the rollers, because line will not be runnning throught the guides for the most part. This rod is meant for cranking groupers off the bottom, so i believe ceremics will do just fine. How many 10's or 12's do you think i would need?

25-20-10-10-10-10

is that enough guides?

Thanks,
~Don~

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: July 30, 2002 09:59AM

Don,

It might be and then again it might not be. You do not want the line touching the blank under full load. So you will have to use whatever it takes to achieve that. Higher frame guides will usually require less guides to perform this, but will generate more torque on the blank. Lower frame guides reduce the torque but require more guides to keep the line off the blank.

I would think on a rod of that length that 6 or 7 guides would do the job. You can find out for sure by doing a static distribution test.

Posted by: Duane Winter (---.NORFOLK.NIPR.MIL)
Date: July 30, 2002 04:26PM

The last rod I built of that line weight, I went with 25, 20, 20, 16, 16, 16. Don't go too small with the ring size of your guides due to the size line (80lb or up) you'll be using. Also you need to give thought to the possibility of wind on leaders etc, which are best suited to bigger guides. Last, you may only need 5 guides, depending on how fast the rod is at the tip.

Sometimes bigger really is better!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster