I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
candy apple
Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: January 11, 2007 10:30AM

guys,

quite often you will mention candy apple thread combo .. want to find out what are the specific code numbers you guys mean .. read once that it was red nylon and metallic gold.. the 'reds' so far i come across are scarlett 326 and garnet 206..

i noticed on gudebrod that there is an actual color 'candy apple' 335.

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: candy apple
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 10:37AM

You can "light" up the regular Gudebrod Candy Apple thread you noted by doing an underwrap with either metallic silver or metallic gold. Do not apply CP and let the finish make the nylon go translucent. This is a real nice effect in the sunlight. It has a deep reflective red look that is unique.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 10:37AM

I use the actual Candy Apple Red from Gudebrod. It is a nice bright red color.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: January 11, 2007 11:02AM

thanks ernie... was thinking of getting that color

bill : does it work with scarlett? garnet seems tad bit dark.. moreover the garnet i have only comes in NCP .. but i will be looking for candy apple 335 no matter what..

-

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 11:15AM

Christoper, Garnet comes in regular nylon, although I would use brighter shades . Nylon over metallics with NO CP gives a very nice sheen like the old "candy Apple" hot rod paint jobs. Along with the red over gold, blue or green over silver is also sharp

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 11:37AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 11:35AM

I number all my Gudebrod spools inside the webbing on each end of the spool to show what MFG number it is, just in case the stickers fall off which hapens all the time. It might be dye lot related but I often see little difference between scarlet and candy apple red. I'd run a test on both with CP to see the true colors and judge this in the sunlight as indoor lighting is often not full spectrum lighting.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 11:58AM

You can tint your finish too for some added depth. It is very subtle but I think it really adds something in the sunlight.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:02PM

One of the Gudebrod Red's is slightly lighter than teh other...it really doens't matter which one you use as teh effect will be exactly teh same unless you have a rod with both colors wrapped together and someone really looks hard/

I love Red over Gold, but I found a better REd color is REd over Red Metallic.

Date: January 11, 2007 12:04PM

If you really want to "take it up a knotch". Take a fine point dental pick and add a few little fine swirlies of 811 CP to the nylon A before finish application. Then you end up with depth and different light reflections without a marbeling

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: January 11, 2007 01:35PM

COOL idea Bill!! And I always thought swirlies were something you got at freshman orientation???

COOL idea Billy!! Red over red metallic - gotta try it...

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 03:20PM

would the metalic silver be an ok underwrap for a 30-50lb class rod thats going to see heavy use?....also would i put a layer of finish on the metalic and then do my overwrap?

would a metalic silver underwrap with a light blue nylon overwrap give the same candy effect?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (65.202.28.---)
Date: January 11, 2007 03:51PM

Metallic with any Nylon no CP over gives that effect.

Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: January 11, 2007 04:47PM

Scarlet is a bit brighter, not a very noticeable difference between it and the candy apple red...until you put finish on. Without CP (whether or not you have a metallic underwrap), the scarlet looks more like a dark orange to me, whereas the candy apple is a very nice, deep red..."ruby"-like over a black blank. I never use the scarlet. Personal preference, of course.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 05:24PM

Hi Bill, Your suggestion to underwrap with metallic thread sounds really interesting. I plan to incorporate that into my next rod project.
Thanks

Patrick

Date: January 11, 2007 07:51PM

well i just tried the metalic silver with a light blue nylon over on my "try out stuff" blank and waiting for the finish to dry and see how it turns out...ill post or email a picture if anyone would like once the finish dries

Date: January 11, 2007 09:30PM

Jon - get a good nights sleep - put on some sun glasses when you get up - take the piece out in the sun and enjoy!

Date: January 11, 2007 10:04PM

its looking good right now cant wait to check it out in the morning :D im really liking this i might use it on the rod im building now....im going to try a dark green tomorrow and see how that turns out also

thank you to all of you that posted! i love this place and you all are great! ;)

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.117.33.---)
Date: January 12, 2007 01:00AM

mike : which one (code number) would you use for candy apple? i looked for garnet in nylon, but i guess the shop doesnt stock it..

chris : i was looking at your combo charts in the photopost, but aint sure if it meant candy apple thread (335) or another color..

-

Posted by: Allen Sarbida (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 02:48AM

jon edwards,

I hope it goes well. I would like to see how that turns out. I was thinking of using the red metallic with a garnet NCP overwrap. It probably won't work cause its NCP so if yours turns out looking fantastic then I know what to change for mine :) .

Allen

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 08:36AM

Christopher,

Any red (or any other color) over metallic will be fine. I prefer any of the brighter ones, though

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster