I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3 "follow up" novice questions
Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 04:45PM

the thread you guys created about applying epoxy - "dump it on, let it sag, wick it off" ...

question 1 - what do you use to "wick it off"? do you use the same card you used to apply it with, or, do you use a brush, etc.?

i just finished applying epoxy to a rod & all the guides look "pregnant" ...i know, ..i didn't wick enough off... so:
question 2 - when this dries, is the best thing to just leave it like it is???

i'm assuming some of you are going to say sand it down, so:
question 3 - what should i use to sand it with? sandpaper? scotchbrite or something similar? ..would you just leave it turning to sand it, or, would it be better to just hold it & sand it between fingers? (ok, i know that was 4 questions, but, you know how novices are. LOL)

thanks
ronnie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 "follow up" novice questions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 05:21PM

Ronnie,

It was in my answer on the last post. Wick it off with anything you want, brush, spatula, toothpick. The key is to leave the rod alone (not moving) until the finish sags on the bottom, remove the sags and rotate 180 degrees, let sit until it sags on the bottom. Keep doing that until it no longer sags and then you can turn the dryer on. It sounds like you have way to much finish on the rod.
Whether you leave the footballs on or not is up to you, (some people like them) but if you sand them, wrap the sand paper around a popsicle stick or something flat or it won't sand level, it will just follow the lump. The best way, if you had a rod lathe would be to turn it at high speed and sand quickly and lightly. You can also sand it by hand.

Just curious - what speed is your rod turning??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 06:29PM

mike,
thanks for the answer.

yes, i do have too much epoxy on my guides ...that's why i want to do it like you suggested ..and, i plan to on the next build!

i applied the epoxy while the dryer was turning (it turns 16rpm) ...next time, i will apply before turning dryer on.

thanks for the "popsicle stick" suggestion ...i think when the epoxy dries, i will try this & see how it works

ronnie

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 10, 2007 07:16PM

AS long as the rod is turning, you can't get sags because they just keep rolling around the blank as it turns, creating waves. I always hand turn for the first hour. One tip - Make sure the centerline of the rod is PERFECTLY level, otherwise the finish will "creep" and not be able to level

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 11:13PM

Ronnie,

As Mike pointed out, you want to get the excess epoxy off the wrap to prevent the "pregnant/football" effect. Just put epoxy on quickly, hand turn it periodically 180 degrees, take the sag off the bottom. Spatula(s) work well for me. Keep doing this 'til the epoxy starts to setup, then put it into some sort of rotation. Be sure the blank is leveled close to the blank's "CENTERLINE" throughout it's length while you're doing this. Prevention seems to be the best method to prevent the "pregnant" effect, unless you desire it.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 11:44PM by Stan Gregory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster