I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss over Tamiya Spray Paint
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (203.52.130.---)
Date: January 10, 2007 06:34PM

G'day Guys,

Well I've sort of rectified my previous problems with refinishing a blank.

I couldn't easily get hold of Krylon Fusion so decided to use Tamiya PS paint. Its quite good stuff and is available in a wide range of colurs including metallics. I sprayed 2 coats on the blank and it turned out nicely. Last night I decided to coat with Permagloss. Unfortunately the solvent in the Permagloss has removed some of the paint. I don't know if this is because I only let the paint dry for about 24 hours before applying Permagloss or just because the two are not compatible. Luckily it has only thinned the paint finish slightly near the foregrip so I can get away with it as this area will be covered with some form of decorative wrap. On my next rod the finish will be more important, so I want to "get it right".

So I have a couple of questions:

1/ Should I let the paint dry longer before applying Permagloss?

2/ Should I make the effort to get Krylon instead? Is Krylon affected in this way by Permagloss?

3/ A previous response to one of my posts suggests using the Krylon Fixative over some paints before applying Permagloss. Would this be good insurance and make chasing down a local source for Krylon worthwhile?

Thankyou in advance for your responses.

Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2007 06:36PM by Jason Groombridge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss over Tamiya Spray Paint
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2007 06:41PM

About the only thing you can do when applying something with a "hot" solvent like PermaGloss over another coating, is to do a test of the two products. I'd let the paint dry a bit longer, perhaps 3 days at the minimum, and then apply the PG in a quick swipe down the blank with a saturated pad. Wait an hour and do it once more. See what happens.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2007 07:14PM

Jason,

I've never used Tamiya paint, but HAVE had good luck with a product sitting right next to it on the Hobby store shelf. It a Testors product designed for "flexible" Lexan R/C car bodies (it contains a flex agent) called PACTRA. No ill effects when coated with Permagloss and have never had it crack or "check" under the Permagloss like I have had happen with other spray paints when the rod is flexed. It can be purchased in a spray can or in a small bottle for Air Brush application.

They have a broad range of colors including candys & pearls, but you'll need to ask if the color you desire is opaque or translucent. Many of their colors are translucent and are designed to be applied over a base coat of White, Silver or Gold to give a "candy" effect. I've got a blank that I just did in Candy Blue over Metallic Silver that looks outstanding. Very 'deep" looking after the Permagloss was applied.

Worth a look.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 10, 2007 09:37PM

Tom, Mark,

Thanks for your replies.

I used a foam pad to apply the PG. Might have to try something a bit less abrasive next time, maybe a coffee filter or a peice of cloth. I gather that PG applied in this way will not be a really high gloss, at least that's the way it's turned out on my rod. Seems to be more like a satin or semi-gloss finish.

I'll get hold of some Testors and give it a whirl. The Tamiya paint I used was for the same purpose, polycarbonate RC bodies, but I think it is acrylic so was affected by the Permagloss. Luckily my local hobby shop can get me Testors, as I still can't track down a local source for Krylon Fusion.

Bit of a problem living on a small island hanging off the bottom of a bigger island. Stuff can be hard to get!

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: January 10, 2007 09:59PM

Hi Jason,
I often have to recolour rods when doing rebuilds.
I use rod epoxy with the colour added. Works very well.
The downside is you do need a rod lathe to get the thin cover you need. Also heat source, I use an old hair dryer with restricted nozel flow. Many years ago we used thinned Humbrol paints from the model shops
2 or 3 coats. That can be applied by hand with fine brush, (signwriters brushes are great ). Give the finished rod a couple of days to harden right off. I like to stand all my rods outside (weather permitting), nature dries better than we can.
As Tom suggests do a trial run. I know Erskine Epoxy will work with this method but cannot comment on other brands even though we do use them.
Mark might be on to something, any paint which can key to plastic should hold up.
Good Luck
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:24AM

We've tried one of just about everything and:

1) Had the same problem with the Krylon paints, be it enamel or acrylic, when coated with Permagloss
2) Had a little better luck when coating with Gudebrod Rod Varnish over the paints (apparently, not as volatile as the Permagloss)
3) Had great luck with colors mixed with High-build.
4) Haven't tried Testor's PACTRA (which has been around since I was building models as a kid), but intend to.

I can tell you that the most expensive approach is to color the high-build material. It's also the most labor-intensive and does need at least a drying motor to rotate the blank (no spray cans, unless you want to figure out how to use a spray can with it, and can get it done before the stuff thickens up) But so far, it's the best.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

2)

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 11, 2007 12:51AM

When I've used Permagloss over paint, it's been Krylon (with no problems). I think the most important thing is to let the paint cure very well, so that there are no volatiles left. I waited five days, but three might be enough, depending on temperature and humidity (more of the first and less of the second). My experiences with spar varnish and varnish/oil finishes tell me that finishes continue to cure for a long time after they are "dry"--weeks, in some cases. I am about to test Permagloss on wraps over a varnished finish, but I'm waiting about three weeks for the last varnish coat to cure before trying it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2007 07:26PM by Arthur Mayfield.

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.bur.dialup.dodo.com.au)
Date: January 11, 2007 06:43AM

Guys,

Thanks for the further info.

It might be that Arthur is right and I was too impatient to get the rod finished and wrapped. I'll wait longer on my next one before applying the Permagloss to give the paint time to cure fully.

As I don't have a drying motor yet, paint is really my only option at this stage, but I might have a go at coloured epoxy at some later stage.

Hopefully after these two rods are done I can build one on a new blank, rather than refinishing. I'm looking forward to that as there are a few less steps to worry about!

Jason

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 09:09AM

I had the same problem with two florescent paints that were not Krylon. I washed the first coat off and repainted. After waiting 48 hours I sprayed a single coat of Krylon Crystal Clear on the blanks. This provides a very thin barrier to keep the Permagloss from toiuching the paint beneath. The Krypon is very quick drying.. but I chose to wait a day before applying a thin coat of Permagloss. The paint remained perfect and the finish was superb. I like to apply the PG with a piece of coffee filter while spinning very fast under power on a rod lathe.

Dave

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2007 09:04PM

My experience with PG is that it just about melts anything.The trick is to get it on and leave it alone before it melts the base color.Like Dave said above apply quickley,also dont rebrush after you apply and it will most likely work.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 12, 2007 12:41AM

Thanks again Guys for the further input.

If it wasn't for you guys I'd still be mucking around trying to get this rod right.

Regards

Jason

Posted by: Danny Will (192.234.135.---)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:36AM

Has anyone tried spraying PG using an air brush? This might eliminate disturbing the underlaying paint.

Danny D. Will
Expatriated Conch

Date: January 12, 2007 06:16PM

Danny,

That’s how I do it and it works like a charm. You need a large tip on the gun though or it will actually throw the PG in kind of a “spatter”.

Last time I posted about this I got “chastised” for not pointing out the volatility of airborne PG. The solvent is flammable so take precautions with open flame, do it in a well ventalated area and wear a mask to avoid breathing the fumes… End of disclaimer.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2007 11:33PM

Mark, they must know that you are big enough man to take chastising. Aerosol paint can be pretty volatile too, along with alcohol lamps, propane torches, and butane lighters and those posts get a bye. LOL.

Date: January 13, 2007 06:30PM

Yeah, I was kind of thrown under the bus by a vendor pushing an upcoming "non-flamable" new product. Still haven't seen the product. Maybe he had Karma issues with it...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster