I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to thin Permagloss
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 08:50AM

Can Permagloss be thinned out as it gets thicker? I know its a urethane and I have about 1/2 bottle left which has become more viscous. Thanks,
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to thin Permagloss
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 06, 2007 09:04AM

Not an easy thing to do. I'd toss it and get a fresh bottle. I dont' know enough about it, but even with xzlene I don't think you can reverse the process that has already taken place.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 10:40AM

Sanford that will be like trying to unscramble eggs. The polymerization has started. When you get a new bottle or two use the paint can with a screw in the bottom to store the product for long term use. Exposure to air is the culprit.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 06, 2007 01:00PM

Thanks,
I'll just order another bottle.
Sanford

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2007 03:14PM

I'm keeping my once used bottle in a vacuum sealed bag...we'll see how it stores until the next time I need it. I don't use it very often, and was only getting a couple of uses out of each bottle w/o the vacuum seal.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 06, 2007 03:57PM

More precisely,
Exposure to the WATER VAPOR in air is the culprit.
PermaGloss is a water-curing (poly)urethane based in xylene.
Pure Air (~80% Nitrogen + ~20% Oxygen) is okay.

My tip for keeping Perma Gloss fresh
David Wells Aug 26, 2006 22:59
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Use a can of common "canned air" [**] used for blowing off keyboards, etc. During this brief process, keep in mind that your goal is to replace the air in the bottle with a dry gas.
Pour out the amount of PermaGloss you need, then gently blow the "canned air" (using the long nozzle) into the empty space of the bottle AS you lower the cap/lid. Press the trigger GENTLY to get a slight flow – you DO NOT want to use full-pressure. As you continue to flush out the air, including the inside of the cap, finish lowering the cap and screw down. This sounds more complicated than it is. It may take a time or two, but it works. David Wells.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 05:10PM

I believe Ralph does not recommend thinning. Permagloss are hot products, (by this I mean it dries quickly). I would recommend you contact Ralph OQuinn or Trondak U-40 or call Joe Kassuba. Joe works with Ralph all the time. His number is (509 582-9030) His email is joe@hisrodshop.com The phone number for Trondak U-40 can be found in the sponsor’s list. Like most similar products once it has started to set up it is almost impossible to re liquefy.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 06, 2007 05:12PM

I believe Ralph does not recommend thinning. Permagloss are hot products, (by this I mean it dries quickly). I would recommend you contact Ralph OQuinn or Trondak U-40 or call Joe Kassuba. Joe works with Ralph all the time. His number is (509 582-9030) His email is joe@hisrodshop.com The phone number for Trondak U-40 can be found in the sponsor’s list. Like most similar products once it has started to set up it is almost impossible to re liquefy. Good Wraps Bob

Re: How to thin Permagloss Sorry about double post No need to read this post
Date: January 06, 2007 05:15PM

Sorry about double post
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2007 02:50AM

Sanford,
I had a classmate in college by the same name. Did you happen to attend The Cooper Union in 1961?
Dave

customrodbuilder@hotmail.com

Date: January 07, 2007 06:19AM

Dave,
I did not attend that school. It sounds like a school in PA. I am from Maryland originally where I went to school.
Sanford

Posted by: Arthur Mayfield (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 07, 2007 11:47AM

I use the Trondak storage recommendations (tightly closed bottle in a closed jar with dessicant (silica gel) in the dehumidified drawer of refrigerator, with minimum open time). In addition, I buy one ounce bottles only and use an eyedropper for dispensing to reduce open time. I take the jar out of the refrigerator about an hour before use to let it warm up. My Permagloss stays useable until almost all is gone, and I don't make many rods (5-6 (bamboo) per year, usually). I hate to say this, but it goes back to one of the first lessons "taught" in the military-read the **** instructions.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 07, 2007 02:35PM

Re: Thinning Permagloss
Ralph O'Quinn May 26, 2006 12:17PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"... Don't ever try to thin PermaGloss -- if you don't pay for it at the time of thinning, you will pay for it some place down the line. It [PG] is in its optimum solids content as it is packaged. Even if you thin with Xylene, you can't help but introduce some moisture." -Ralph O'Quinn.
The context was asking about PG use in a spray gun / air brush.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster