I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is blank still good??
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2007 06:37PM

Here`s the deal.The boat sat in the yard for 3 years with a torn and battered cover.The drain got blocked by leaves and the boat retained some water.My buddie`s father(now deceased thats why the boat was not cared for) left a fiberglass trolling rod with a cork forgrip and a wood handle.The Penn reel and a digital line counter still attached.These were covered in water for who knows how long but to my suprise are still serviceable.He would like to have the rod restored for a keepsake of his father and also to use it(no wall hanger).The aftco rollers all are free and smooth.Other than a coat of green scum the blank looks good and flexes without making any noise. I doubt the water Would water have weakened the blank but just want to sure before I tell him to fish it.The cork and wood need to be replaced but that is not a problem.Any input on the project will be greatly apprieated.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is blank still good??
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: January 03, 2007 07:05PM

Hi Fred

I think if you see no delamination or blistering on the blank you're probably ok.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2007 08:23PM

It's very likely that you have some solid glass blanks there, somewhat similar to fiberglass boat hulls that stay in water all the time. Of course, they covered with a gel-coating designed to keep water out. Same with the outer coating on the blank (paint most likely). About all you can really do is take them fishing and see how they hold up. I suspect they'll be okay.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2007 09:19AM

I rebuilt a rod 50lb class rod coming from a similar situation, this rod had been immersed in salt water for quite some time. The guides and aftco unibutt were well corroded, but the rod blank and thread work still looked nice except for a few minor scuffs. Removed the roller guides without disturbing the underwraps and installed new ringed guides wrapped with black nylon, and finished. Installed a new unibutt. A new thin coat of finish over the fancy wrap made it look like new. The rod had had a penn reel installed but the new owner did not bring it in for me to see so do not know what condition it was in.

Lou

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: January 04, 2007 06:21PM

Thanks,That was what I figured.Stripped the blank last night and it looks good.The top finish is intact.I`ll go for and see what happens

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.44.---)
Date: January 05, 2007 08:45AM

When I first started wrapping rods, a friend found an old Abu Garcia rod on the beach that floated in from god knows where. He liked the action of it, it was a white glass blank with some sort of wooden handle that was no good, had like three guides on the blank.

I stripped it, a little alchohol, it cleaned up like new. Took off the wood handle, put hypalon on, new low budget guides, and the rod was like new. For me it was another blank to learn from, and he got a rod that he liked the action of for some reason for next to nothing.

Phil

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 05:42AM

Hey Phil,
Any chance of you getting the Navy to deploy you to High Point for the show?

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.44.---)
Date: January 07, 2007 03:38AM

Rich, I sure wish. I had told the wife I wanted to go this year, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to put the trip together between the ship's schedule and fundage to fly from Japan.

So, worst case, shoot for next year. I'll still be stationed in Japan, but will give me some time to try to put the trip together. I'm teaching my fishing buddy who is another Navy Chief here how to wrap rods, so maybe by then I'll have a friend to fly over with.

Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster