I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Good Blank for a Crappie Rod
Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: July 03, 2023 08:13AM

Thanks for the input Norm. I've come to realize the diversity in different crappie rods. The only one I have is a 9' rod for dropping.
I was really looking for a rod to have when someone wants a crappie rod...totally clueless here.
Since its just a rod to sell...not really custom, I'm looking to keep the cost down...somewhat.
I see alot of crappie rods with stainless steel guides, I have made several rods with SS guides and think there ok,
Any thoughts on guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 03, 2023 08:21AM

Kendall...I'm saving the Torzite guides for myself!
As for lighter equals more sensitivity...your opening Pandora's box there.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2023 10:51AM

Most crappie rods have very light tips. So in order to keep the rod as responsive as possible, light guides are a must. Almost all of the crappie rods I build use SS ringed guides. I previously used PacBay Minima guides, but they became very difficult to get, so I moved over to the SeaGuide SS ringed guides with the Adaman coating. These guides are actually lighter than the Minima guides or the CRB SSR guides. For runners I normally use a size 4. However, if bobber stops are going to be used I may move up to a size 5 or even a size 6 runner depending on what the person using the rod wants.
Many crappie fisherman prefer long rods (8’ to 12’) because they can be used not only for vertical jigging but also for long distance casting of lures as well as casting a long pegged float rig. I’ve used steel head blanks as well as fly rod and switch rod blanks for these longer rods. Others prefer shorter UL to ML rods from 6’ to 7’6”, and there are a number of options for these rods including the traditional UL to ML blanks, as well as, popping blanks and even light hotshot blanks. Then there is another important option which concerns action. Some like a very soft moderate action blanks while others prefer a fast to extra fast action blank. Finally, cost is also important, some don’t care how much a rod costs, but others are much more budget minded. Because of all these different options it becomes very difficult to recommend the perfect crappie blank, unless you know exactly what a person wants.
Norm

Date: July 03, 2023 03:26PM

Thanks again Norm...good stuff.
One more thing....could you expound a little bit on the handles?
I realize that will also be all over the board.
I'm specifically looking for length...say from the butt to the middle of the reel seat.
I typically see longer lengths...and many are full cork (not split)..thoughts?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 03, 2023 03:37PM

Based on the last two times I've been out, if you're looking for crappie in the 13 - 15" range build yourself a rod on an NFC MB 666 IM blank, put a Curado 150 MGL reel on it, fill the reel with 15# Tatsu, tie on a 3/8 oz Jackhammer chatterbait in ghost green gizzard shad, and dress it with a 4" pearl white Caffine shad. It's money. lol

Oh, and you'll want to be fishing over tapering weed lines in 4 - 6' of water. The crappie I've been catching have been bigger than all but two of the bass I caught. LOL

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 03, 2023 04:26PM

Chris - Again handle length is a personal thing. On long rods that are being used primarily for vertical jigging, many people want a long fore grip (7”-12”) because they will hold the rod in front of the reel for better balance. In this case, the rear grip is short or the the reel seat is at the very end of the rod, similar to a fly rod. For those who want long rods for casting and retrieving, as well as for vertical jigging, they like a handle with both a rear grip and a fore grip of about equal length (7”-8”). This gives them the leverage they need for two hand casting, plus the option of using the fore grip when vertical jigging. For the shorter rods used exclusively for casting and retrieving the handle length is as long or as short as the person likes, and the foregrip is usually very short or not used Some like full length handles and others prefer split grips. I personally like cork or carbon fiber split grips utilizing IPS or VSS17 reel seats with a hidden thread hood. To me they are very comfortable and seamless. I use the NFC soft touch and regular carbon fiber IPS and VSS grips. I make my own cork IPS grips using the Fuji BGS25C IPS cork adaptor to which I glue on cork rings and then turn down. This enables me to make the grip any length I want, either full length or split grip.
So, like all other types of handle personal preference rules.
Norm

Date: July 04, 2023 08:20AM

Norm again - good stuff.
Thanks for your detailed reply's.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster