I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Good Blank for a Crappie Rod
Posted by: Ed Bronk (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 24, 2002 09:05PM

I am just a hobby builder. I have built a few rods mostly for my brothers, relatives and a few friends. A neighbor has seen one of the rods I built for a friend and has asked me to build a nice crappie rod to be used as a special gift to a person retiring.
I know there may be a million different opinions but I am willing to consider them all. What is a good blank to use for a crappie rod? What length, action, brand, model etc. have you found to work well?
The rods I have built in the past have been walleye rods made from Gloomis IMX and Ct Croix SCV blanks so my experience with a good crappie rig is non-existent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Blank for a Crappie Rod
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 24, 2002 09:23PM

I'm no crappie rod expert but I have a lot of guys come to me and ask to have fly rods converted so they can use spinning reels on them. They are serious crappie fishermen and seem to prefer the action and feel of fly rods, but want to use them with light spin reels and small jigs. So maybe a 8 to 9 foot fly rod blank rated for about a 6 weight line. That seems to be what shows up on my request list pretty often.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2002 09:55PM

I have built some great crappie rods on SCII 4wt fly blanks. They are 7'-6", perfect for boaters. I have one for myself. The action and power is great for casting and landing your average size crappie. I build them using the New Concept Guide System. They'll cast a 1/32oz jig a long distance. The cost of these blanks are very reasonable. I do not know what you look for in a crappie rod, but, this is a good option.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Matt Davis (206.8.166.---)
Date: July 25, 2002 07:41AM

I'm really wanting to try this fly rod thing myself. But if you're not up to it, try Loomis' S841. Or the 842 which is Doug Stange's goto Panfish rod. Also, the 00 rated blanks in the Spin Jig series will make good Crappie rods. I have a 7500 that I really love.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: July 25, 2002 12:32PM

Ed,
Also, the light line rated Rainshadow steelhead blanks are a good choice for a custom crappie rod. In 9' the IST1081F would be a good choice. For the shorter rod, I would suggest SCII or SCIII St. Croix, something like 2S66LF2. In the longer lengths are the SCIII series in med. light (4 to 10 lb.) 7', 7'6". Any of these are a good start in considering some blanks ideal for crappie. The fly blanks mentioned above in the SCIV are ideal, and for the budget minded you wouldn't be disappointed with the SCII series either.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel.

Posted by: Lance Bosma (---.tnt4.rochester.mn.da.uu.net)
Date: August 09, 2002 07:23AM

An UL rod works well in fact I built a nice UL for my mom and it is great. It is an second of a St. Croix. I am now builting one for my sell. It is just a thought. that worked for me. Lance

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: June 25, 2023 06:07PM

I'm looking to build a crappie rod on a MHX S781 or MHX S782.
Anyone have any other suggestion or comments?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 25, 2023 09:17PM

Might be better to start a new post instead of bringing up a 20 year old one for the best info.

Date: June 25, 2023 10:37PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Might be better to start a new post instead of
> bringing up a 20 year old one for the best info.

Uh...nah. Where's the logic in that?

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: June 26, 2023 12:27AM

The Phenix Elixir in the following configuration seems about right.

B-FX-S 801-1X 8? 1-6 lb 1/32-1/4 oz Telescopic Moderate Fast 4 0.441 1.23 oz

Date: June 26, 2023 07:25AM

Kendall Cikanek Wrote:
> The Phenix Elixir in the following configuration
> seems about right.
>
> B-FX-S 801-1X 8? 1-6 lb 1/32-1/4
> oz Telescopic Moderate Fast 4 0.441 1.23 oz

Thanks for that Kendall. I probably should have given some more specifics.
I'm looking to build something in the 6' 6" range (spinning) that can cast and shoot.
The longer rods are more down the road for now.
I would love to get some input on: Blanks, guides and handle assemblies (length and type).
This is really more of a technical exercise than a "what a good rod" post.

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.140.---)
Date: June 26, 2023 01:25PM

I built a rod for gills and crappies on the NFC P700 X-Ray blank it's a tad longer than you want but makes a dynamite rod. I think you could trim 6" off the butt if you wanted.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2023 05:17PM

Might look at one of the 6'10" drop shot blanks. I use my drop shot rod built on an NFC DS6107 IM blank when I fish for perch in the fall. I catch more crappie while fishing for perch than I do perch. lol It's does a really nice job. Not sure how well it would shoot a bait, but it will cast a Bobby Garland Baby Shad on a 1/16 oz jig head quite nicely. I use a cheap 2500 Shimano Sienna reel with 4# Suffix Elite.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (63.118.12.---)
Date: July 01, 2023 07:57AM

Thanks for that David...

Has anyone ever installed (what I would call) "the long" forgrip.
I've seen some rods that have what looks like about a six to eight inch foregrip.
What is striking (pun) about it is that the bottom part is cut away, much like an exposed reel seat.
Obviously...this foregrip is doubling as a handle....just thought is looked unique.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2023 09:31AM

Not built a rod like this yet but will eventually. Below link is a factory rod with the reel seat and fore grip like you are talking about I believe. I have this rod and it works pretty well for live scoping crappies in cool/cold water. You just search with electronics and drop bait right down to them while watching them pretty much the whole time on livescope.

My son has actually taken this rod and put a bait cast reel on it because he feels he has better control dropping bait down with bait caster. When I get around to building one will set it up with more of a rear grip so it can be used more comfortably with bait cast reel.

[acccrappiestix.com]

Date: July 01, 2023 04:55PM

Thanks for that link Keven...that is really close to what I was talking about...
Here is the rod I saw [www.basspro.com]

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 01, 2023 06:16PM

I had an old Shimano Compre spinning rod that had a cut out for finger to blank contact in the fore grip, but the fore grip was only about 2 1/2" long. It looked cool, but I must hold a spinning rod differently than the person that decided where the cut out should be, because it wasn't much good to me at all.

Date: July 01, 2023 07:52PM

David Baylor Wrote:
> I had an old Shimano Compre spinning rod that had
> a cut out for finger to blank contact in the fore
> grip, but the fore grip was only about 2 1/2"
> long. It looked cool, but I must hold a spinning
> rod differently than the person that decided where
> the cut out should be, because it wasn't much good
> to me at all.

Yeah...I've seen that too...some techniques have the rod being held a little more forward on the foregrip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2023 11:17PM

Crappie rods constitute a very strange mix of widely varying blank types and the way they are built. They range in length from 16’ jig poles to 4’ UL rods. They are used with spinning, casting, fly and various other types of reels, or no reel at all. People think there are a lot of different types bass technique rods, but I think crappie rods might have them beat, as far as diversity is concerned. I build a lot of crappie rods and it seems that everyone has their favorite way of fishing for them. So it is extremely difficult to recommend a crappie rod blank unless you know how the person likes to fish for them. I have built on both the MHX S781 and MHX S782; both make into very nice crappie spinning, hard to tell them apart. Both will throw very light lures a long distance. As expected the S782 is more powerful than the S781, but not by much.
Norm

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: July 02, 2023 11:52PM

I’ve gone in and out of crappie fishing as I’ve moved around the country. I’ve been friends with a preeminent crappie jig builder over the last several years, though. He preaches cutting weight everywhere possible and extreme sensitivity for rods. He won’t even try a rod he deems as being too heavy for its size. I handed him my third ever build from about thirty years ago and he pronounced it as too heavy. It was on a St. Croix ultralight blank. I handed him a contemporary build also on a St. Croix blank with Torzite guides and CFX grips. I wasn’t sure If he was going to let me have it back. Neither rod was labeled and I didn’t provide descriptions. Long, short, or in between, keep them light and sensitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2023 12:11AM by Kendall Cikanek.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster