I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SAGE XP / guides issue
Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w90-10.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 01, 2007 01:52PM

So many things have already been written on this topic that I was really hesitating to ask once again the never-ending question: single foot or snake guides?
The thing is that I usually build my rods with some single foot guides, but for once I was thinking about using some snake guides for a SAGE XP 10’ 4wt 4 pieces that I have here.

I have already built a 10’ 4wt rod but it was a 2 pieces one and I didn’t hesitate one second to use some single foot guides, but with this 4 pieces rod I really have some concern about it.
The thing is that I have never built a SAGE rod with some single foot guides and I don’t really know how it will look…..

I normally use single foot guides because I am convinced that it saves weight with just one thread per guide instead of two, but this time I found some very light snake guides and I was thinking about putting just one coat of varnish only on the thread and nothing the blank so as to enable me to save weight also.

Can anybody make any comments on that? I know it may sound strange, I have already built several rods but right now I am a kind of lost and I really need some input from you guys.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SAGE XP / guides issue
Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.stb.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 01, 2007 02:37PM

Hi Frantz
I can only help with a comparison i did on a sage factory 9 ft #6 TCR,i own a factory rod and decided to build a second TCR using single leg REC guides but the same spacings,my conclusion was this,although the custom rod felt a little lighter in the hand there was no difference in the casting distance or fishability of the rod although i did notice that the custom built rod was a little faster in the recovery of the top sections during the cast and the line speed a little different.
I hope that this rough test a did helps you in your choice.
All the best for 2007.

Bry

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w90-10.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: January 01, 2007 02:49PM

Thank you very much Bryan this was exactly the kind of information I was looking for....

Happy New year

Frantz

Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: January 03, 2007 11:51AM

The one thing I have noticed with the high quality single foot ceramics is in the feel of the rod. With the expensive (sensitive) blanks it feels to me the line friction is less than traditional wire guides. The vibration in my casting hand is where I really notice the difference. Ceramics feel a lot smoother to me.
My friends with traditional snake guides think I'm sacreligious but since using the ceramics I haven't been able to switch back on any of my own rods.

Ron

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster