I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 01:27AM

Ok, I'm ready to try CP, which one and I have looked at the sponsors on the left.
American Tackle Color Preserver
Gudebrod Color Preserver
Flexcoat Color Preserver
U-40 Color Lock

Some of them are eliminated just on the shipping alone. I will not pay as much to ship as to buy 4oz. CP. IMO shipping cost of $6.00 for a 4oz bottle of CP is out of line, Yes I under stand that someone has to do it, and I do understand that they have to pay someone to do shipping, BUT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 02:10AM

We use Gudebrod and FlexCote. They both work fine provided:

1) Store them at "normal" room temp
2) Use at least two coats. Let them saturate your threads.
3) If you use underwraps, cover the underwrap with at least one full coat of CP. Then place and wrap the guides, and put at least two coats of CP on the guide wraps and of course the part of the underwrap that remains exposed.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 02:44AM

Shipping charges are a fact of life unless you live near a supplier.
Get use to them! Try not to order just 1 bottle of CP. Order more
things together and only pay one shipping charge.

@#$%& on the left has the BEST shipping rates. They only
charge you what it costs them and has NO handling charges.

Oh, I like the Gudebrod 811 but plan to try the U-40 color lock
one of these days just for kicks. They make permagloss and
Rodbond both GREAT products so the "color lock" is worth a try!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2006 02:47AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 07:55AM

Tim for CP try some local tackle shops, alot of them carry epoxies and CP.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: December 29, 2006 10:45AM

Rod Bond, Color Lock, Ferrule Lube, Permagloss, Supreme, Cork Seal and brush cleaner all from the same place, U-40. That's a nice little package for the shipping charges.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 11:37AM

That's the price you pay for ordering one item at a time. You can probably order a bunch more stuff in the same package for the same shipping costs

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 12:44PM

I use Gudebrod 811 on my own stuff, but stock Flex Coat, U-40 and Diamondite CP's as well.

My Wife and Kids are chained to the shipping bench and don't get paid, so any of the above 4oz. bottles ship for $2 or less. You could probably get a 1oz. bottle of each of the four mentioned above for the same $2 shipping if you wanted to experiment with different brands.

Shipping's tough to deal with. As I've explained before, many vendors simply have "blanket" shipping costs to allow their check out process to be automated. In other words, orders between $1 & $50 cost $6 to ship, $51 - $100 cost $10 to ship, etc... That saves them from having to weight everything up to come up with a shipping price and covers their postage costs most of the time.

The problem is when you static test your new blank and realize that you need one more #8 guide, you're faced with $6 to ship it AGAIN. We don't automate our shipping at check-out for that very reason. That guide will cost about 60 cents to ship. The computer/software won't calculate "combined" shipping costs correctly, so even if we tied a 60 cent shipping cost to that #8 guide in the computer, if you ordered two of them, it would charge you $1.20 for shipping when in fact two #8's could probably STILL ship for 60 cents. I've yet to find software that will calculate combined shipping without gouging the Consumer in the process.

That's why MOST have blanket shipping charges. I say MOST. Some actually use their shipping departments as profit centers PERIOD. Their selling price on an item is "the lowest on the internet", but then charge you handling, inflated shipping fee's etc... on the back end, so your "deal" is no deal at all.

If I walk into a store and see a price on something, I don't expect to get to the register and have to pay for the Stock Boy, the Cashier, the rent, etc... as a separate charge, ya know? I expect that to be factored into the selling price, which is what WE do. While our online prices may not always be the lowest (at face value), what you see is what you get. We don't inflate our shipping, charge for labor, boxes, rent or any of that other stuff on the backside of the sale. I don’t like when it happens to me, so I have to assume that other consumers don’t appreciate it either.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.1.62.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 12:44PM

Tim,
Mike Barkley and others are right. Always buy enough stuff to spread the shipping charges over your entire order. Another thing you can do is to actually drive to a source if it near you. Since I live about four hours east of Portland, I can time my buying from Angler's Workshop to those times I'm in Portalnd for other reasons. My wife likes to spend a weekend in Portland to visit Powell's Bookstore as well as have a nice weekend in the "big" city and I make four trips to the coast for fishing trips, it is possible to make the short trip to Angler's Workshop to do my buying.

I know this is not possible for all, but look at the various sponsors and see if any of them are near to where you fish or visit for other reasons. One thing I know is that shipping charges are far far more likely to increase than to go down. I know that Ron at Hook and Hackle told me he was going to have to increase his charges (Hook and Hackle has had the lowest shipping charges). I also deal with Bob and Custom Tackle Supply. They are great people and I know they try to keep their charges down as well. I know the idea of driving for four hours to shop sounds idiotic, but if you have reasons to go anyway (anniversary, romantic weekend, holiday shopping, fishing trips), you are going to spend the money anyway so why not combne it with a buying trip for rod building materials.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2006 01:17PM

It is like I have said before I know that shipping charges have to be but when it cost as much as the product then I look else where.

Mark, Mark@@#$%& C&M Custom Tackle I have dealt with you and Colleen before have never been DISAPPOINTED. I just emailed Colleen asking for shipping cost for a couple of items.

To all thank you for all your comments, they are welcomed.

Posted by: Fred Blake (---.propel.com)
Date: December 29, 2006 07:23PM

If you have an Academy Sports big box store nearby give them a look. All of them around here carry the flex coat 12cc finish/cup/brush package, color preserver, and tip glue, an assortment of thread, and individually packaged Fuji guides in several styles and sizes.

I'll do the stupid thing first, then you shy people can follow. -FZ-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster