I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting rods from MI to FL
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 05:50PM

I am just completing 2 light surf rods for use during a Florida vacation in February. They are 2 piece 8 foot rods.

I am debating whether to send them ahead by UPS or USPS , or taking them as part of my luggage on the plane flight from Michigan.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Herb Knowlton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting rods from MI to FL
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2006 05:58PM

Ship them via USPS. Safer than the airlines conveyor systems, they rip luggage apart and I am sure they could snap a PVC pipe. Not to mention it will be much more convenient with air travel being what it is in these days. They won't cost much to ship since they will be in a 4'6" tube - no balloon rate.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2006 08:04PM

I have taken mine in a plano rod tube as part of my luggage. Normally a 10'surf rod, 7' spinning rod and 2 fly rods. all are 2 piece. I have one of those cheapo fleece blankets that you can get at any wally world and I try to wrap each piece individually in the blanket. I'll explain, put in one piece then fold the blanket once, put in another piece, fold again, etc. I try to align the guides so they are facing each other (nesting) and I also make sure I put half of the butts facing opposite directions that way if there is any room for them to slide there is a strong section to keep form crushing the tips. By using the blanket, the rods fit snuggly in the tube and don't bang around. It has worked for me the last 3 trips.

Tony

BTW, if I was to ship rods UPS or USPS I would package them the same.

Posted by: Phinla Sinphay (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 08:48AM

If you decide to ship use UPS instead of USPS. UPS has a better tracking system than USPS. Last time I used USPS, they lost my rod so I now use BROWN when shipping rods.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: December 28, 2006 09:44AM

I agree with Phinla. From my personal experience, the UPS (Brown) tracking system and transit time service is more reliable. The USPS regular shipping can also be very slow in comparision and the tracking system very slow in updating. One gets the impression that odd shaped packages shipped first class are assigned the lowest priority by the Postal Service. The only comparable service that the Postal Service has to UPS is priority mail but again the customer service end doesn't seem to be as good. I would ship the rods via UPS or carry them on.

Sam Stoner

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 28, 2006 09:49AM

Check ahead with the airline. Last time I flew and took a rod, it was my 6' one piece Tuna rod with reel. They let me carry it on and put it in the coat closet right up front (no hooks of course). They just gave it back to me as I exited the plane. I got ALOT of looks but there is no damage to my rod and I had it instantly when I got to my destination.

Posted by: dave schaub (160.109.96.---)
Date: December 28, 2006 10:12AM

I was working in Panama and took my 7ft rods every time. I used a PVC tube (sch 40 with end caps). I checked with the airline in advance and was assured there was no problem. Well, there was not a problem but they tried everything to break the tube. You should have seen it after my 7 trips down there. But I never had a problem on either end. Best advice is to check with the airlines first if you decide to go that way. I would trust on the following heirarchy order: UPS, Airline, USPS, other carriers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster