I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dull spots on fly rod guide feet ?!
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: December 05, 2006 04:53AM

Hi folks,

just finished a flyrod, using single foot guides between tip top and stripping guides. Now I have realized after ONE day fishing at the coast a dulled area along the top of the sf-guide feet. As it seems this was done through the fly line. The epoxy (Classic Rod Coat) had enough time to cure, I think more than 5 days. Based on this I checked my other flyrods and found the same result with most of them. On the rods inspected I used different epoxies, like Flex Coat and also a local brand here from Germany.

My question is now: Have you experienced something similar in the past? Is there an epoxy out there who is not getting dulled in situations like the mentioned one?

What are you doing when you find similar conditions on your rods? Recoating after a certain time, ignoring...

Pls. let me know.

RGDS,
Ole
Ellerau/Germany

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dull spots on fly rod guide feet ?!
Posted by: Michael Newby (---.joh.za.prserv.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 05:19AM

Hi Ole

I've only built two rods so far, both 6wt 9foot fly rods, and with single foot guides. So I've got no experience, and someone else on here could give you a lot more info.

However, with both my rods my fiinish is excellent, mainly because I followed the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. I used Flex Coat High Build, and mixed 3cc every time (mix more to elliminate the possibility of an uneven mix), but I put 2 drops of thinners in the mix too. It just spread it a little easier, and made the finish more manageable, with great results.
I mixed it very slowly, for about 3 minutes, before using it, didn't have any bubbles to contend with.

What are you mixing the finish in? If you use certain plastics to mix with, or paper cups, or wood swizzle sticks, or slightly dirty tools, you may be getting unwanted chemicals or dirt in your finish which may be causing the dull effect. I may be wrong here though!
To avoid that, I use small glass bowls to hold the finish, mix it with stainless steel paper clips, and when it's mixed I pour it onto a tea cup's sauser turned upside down, and covered with aluminum foil. It spreads the epoxy nicely and dissipates most bubbles too.

My finishes have come out great so far, so I'll stick to this tecnique.

The other guys on here might give you more valid reasons on why it became dull though.

Regards,
Mike

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: December 05, 2006 07:42AM

Hi Mike,

thanks for your swift answer. To make it very clear the dull spots I' am talking about are not made during teh painting/coating process. They happened later during usage. With the coating and the measurement process I' am more than careful as well as with the cleanliness - teh laboratory equipment I use for mixing I clean afterwards always with 98% alcohol from the local pharmacy.

RGDS,
Ole
Ellerau/Germany

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 09:59AM

If moisture can migrate under the epoxy coating it can give you the appearance you describe. This will not however effect the surface of the epoxy if that seems to be the actual cause.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 05, 2006 04:00PM

Ole,

I haven't noticed any of this on my fly rods but I don't fish at the "coast" either.

Do you mean by "coast" that you are fishing saltwater in a sandy area? If so, I wonder if the rubbed areas on top of the guide feet finish could be caused by sand that is clinging to the fly line. Or perhaps even the salt crust that forms on the dry fly line would be enough to dull the finish right there.

The toughest finish I'm aware of is Permagloss. You might be able to reduce or solve the problem by a thin coat of Permagloss over the fully cured epoxy.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 07:15PM

Jan-Ole,
I noticed the same thing on one of my rods after a few outings, and have been wanting to cross-check my built rods/records to see which finish it was. Just printed out the list and will check the rods and get back to you. Like you, I usually wait more than a week before using any finished rod - easy to do since I usually build during Winter.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster