I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smallmouth spinning rod
Posted by: Ian Byrd (---.midsouth.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:28PM

I am looking to build a smallmouth spinning rod with a medium power and fast/xfast action that could double as an inshore rod. Probably a 7 footer. I am looking at the St Croix SCiii and SCiv blanks as well as the loomis imx. Are there any other blanks out there that compare? Mostly use 6-10lb line. Any experts out there to give some suggestions? Also, what are the best reel seats out there...should I get an aluminum or stick to the composite or should I go with Titanium...guess I am looking for some opinions to solidify my choices.

many thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smallmouth spinning rod
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.22.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 04, 2006 11:40PM

I've had great success with the Rainshadow ISB822.5, in the RX7. It is very fast, 6'10", and very sensitive. And, I hear the new RX8 is even better.
I've built on both the other two brands you mentioned, and, while they are great blanks, I think the RS is every bit as good. Except, a lot less money for the RX7.

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:57AM

Ian~

I built a river smallie rod used for soft plastics/ finesse on a St. Croix SCIII blank. Now I'm no expert when it comes to the various blanks but I am COMPLETELY happy with the SCIII! I can feel the difference between a panfish nibbling on the skirt on my tube versus the ever so subtle tap of a smallie picking up my bait ,so that's good enough for me! As for reel seats, your preference should dictate which one to use but I'll say you can't go wrong with any of Fuji's seats! I would stay away from an aluminum seat only because it can get awfully cold in your hand during the cold months.

One of the back issue's of RMM had an article about building a smallie rod. I'd check it out!

My Wading River Smallie Rod

SCIII66MLF
AmTak HZHS Guides
Titanium Carbide Woven Graphite Spin Reel Seat
Split Grip

John

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 10:13AM

Ian,

I built a SCV SC70MF (baitcasting blank-they call it) as a river smallie spinning rod blank and I concider it to be one of my best smallmouth rods period. It's a 7'er and performs perfectly. I don't have a clue as to how many SM it's landed and even one memorable LM nearing 8lbs.....so I know the blank holds up well and can take larger fish. I built mine with Fuji Titaniumn guide frames and SIC rings, split grip with a small steep wrapped epoxy forgrip and wrapped epoxy behind the seat as well. This made for a VERY LIGHT outfit that is a pleaseure to use all day.

DR

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: December 05, 2006 11:29AM

I personally like the St Croix 3C69MLXF for river smallies. I have a spinning reel set up with this blank and can't say enough good about it. I use is for drop shots and dead stick and love it. The length is long enough that you get a good hookset and the extra fast tip gives you great sensitivity. It doesn't work well as a crane however the ML action is great to play them as long as you can keep them out of structure. Mark

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2006 12:45PM

Volume 7 #1 issue of RodMaker has an article on a specialty smallmouth rod you might enjoy. The special assembly would be applicable to even heavier blanks, if you want that.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 05, 2006 02:12PM

I really like Tom's smallmouth rod design and have built three of them in a similar way, one on the St. Croix 3S60LF, one on the Batson XMS783, and most recently one on a CTS EST16646 (6'6" 1pc. 4-6kg. line). I haven't had a chance to fish the CTS yet but I think it will become my favorite smallmouth rod. SUPER fast tip - I put the CCS data in the database so check it out and give Andy at Lamar a call. I built all three of them in the factory length without extension and without foregrips. Very comfortable handles. The rear grip on the St. Croix is the 4" like Tom recommends, the Batson and CTS have rear grips that are about 5.5".

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: December 05, 2006 04:52PM

Lots of good choices here, but I'm with Steve and Duane, the Rainshadow ISB822.5 and the St Croix 70MF would make a fine smallmouth rod and wouldn't be a bad inshore rod. The St Croix would be good I think for Reds, etc. The Rainshadow wouldn't be a bad Bone or Ladyfish, etc rod, depends on the size critter your after and the presentation.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: December 05, 2006 04:59PM

My personal favorite smallie spinning rod is a St Croix 5S70MLF with TiSic TATSGs (20, 12) / TISic flies ( size 6) built split grip/no fore grip, tennessee handle with a 2500 Shimano. 4-6 pound test - fantastic for 4" wacky senkos, little jerkbaits, little cranks, little topwaters. Not the best choice for setting the hook with leadheads or texas rigs though. Leadheads - move upto the 5S70MF. Texas rigs = 5C70MF/baitcaster

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.eos.net)
Date: December 06, 2006 09:41PM

The CTS blanks are by far the lightest and most sensitive rod I've ever smallie fished. I built a 1 pc., light spin, 6'6" Elite Tournament Series with the Fuji "soft-touch" seat and their solid Titanium guides. Unbelievable.
I've got another on the way that I'm going to test the Recoil guides on. Will probably even make for a lighter and more precise rod. I can't wait.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster