I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides popping
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: November 13, 2006 09:25PM

Hi Guys,
Just came back from a trip with the fly rods-When I was getting off the boat I noticed that the stripping guide center had popped out on my 12 wt. This can happen from time to time I know, I had it happen once in the UK in about 20 years, but I have had a total of time 7 times here in the Philippines in the last 4 years on different rods. Each time the encasing frame has burst open around the ceramic center. I take reasonable care of my gear, and dont bash it around.
This is happening often enough to me that there must be some reason for the frequency of occurence here in the tropics
I have two theories.
1. that the rings may be bursting when water is splashed on the rod after being in the sun for a while-sudden temperature change ?
2.That the rings are popped by the bouncing around in the boat-though I never had a problem with this in the UK where the rides where much harder?
Have you guys any further ideas ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides popping
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 13, 2006 09:59PM

You mean the metal frame is split open? I see this alot. In nearly all cases, the metal has weakened from corrosion and split, allowing the ring to fall out.

If the frame is fine, I can only guess that the ring got bumped on something and knocked out.

Here's a tip you can try, it may help although it's not guaranteed. When you're applying finish, take a toothpick or dental pick and apply 3 very tiny dots of finish to each side of the ceramic ring so that the finish touches the ring and the frame. These tiny "spot welds" tend to lock the ring in the frame, making it a bit less susceptible to knocks and bangs. But you can still knock a ring out, with enough force.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2006 10:00PM

Tom,

THAT is a great idea!

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 13, 2006 11:49PM

Love that idea!! Will be doing it.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 12:09AM

I will tell you this living here in the tropics now myself the salt in tropical seas is very high! I mean the corrosive battle we fight here (Naples Marco Isl. Fla.)doubles what i ever had to bear up in new england. But if your only a visitor and take the time to rinse your gear with fresh water after every day on the water it shouldn't be a big factor.

Posted by: Earl Hamilton (125.60.243.---)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:44AM

Thanks Tom,
Sound advise ! I think Billy also writes sense about the salinity of tropical water. wether its higher salinity, or higher chemical reactivity from higher temperatures still remains as a question, but the result is the same. I also have to admit also that in each case the rings were not of top quality brands, even if they are Sics and stainless !
Perhaps I should pay the extra shipping and get proper stuff sent in in future !!!
Thanks alot guys.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster