I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tacky Flex Coat
Posted by: Joe Flowers (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 11:08AM

Last night I left a rod drying overnight. This morning the thread wraps are still a bit tacky. I think my workroom got a little too cold during the night. Will the Flex Coat eventually cure properly once it's wamed up for a while, or will I need to put on an additional coat? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tacky Flex Coat
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 12, 2006 11:25AM

I would let it go another day or two and if it's still tacky, I would recoat. How cold is the work room? I think if it goes below about 70, it will affect curing time

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 11:33AM

Low Temps below 65 degrees will delay the curing. If you have not achieved a 50/50 by volume mixture of the two components you will delay the curing also, it may take longer to cure and wiil depend on how far off the mix was. If too far off it will not cure at all and remain tacky. This is usually due to too much hardner. If it does reamin tacky after three days it will not cure correctly. Just place another thin coat over the tacky one but make sure you have a 50/50 by vol mix. which is easily achieved by using silicone free syringes suppiled by most of the companies who sell thread epoxy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2006 03:35PM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 12:11PM

If it doesn't cure in a few days you'll need to recoat.

We always ASSUME that the mix isn't 50/50 and the person didn't measure the finish well.

BUT lets not leave out the actual MIXING of the two parts WELL.

Flexcoat makes these round little mixing sticks that simply STINK! They don't allow FOLDING of the mixture together. If you used one of these, you'd better stir twice as long as you did before. Better yet, throw them in the trash can and use a flat object to mix with: a new popsicle stick works great.

DR

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2006 09:20PM

I built a epoxy mixer and never had that problem again its not hard to build and doesnt cost that much money look into it guys and you won't be disappointeed billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster