I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kayak Blank
Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 08, 2006 04:59PM

I have been given an interesting problem and would appreciate any help and advice from this forum.

A friend of mine is into Kayak fishing for light game fish ie; Yellowtail Kingfish, Cobia, Tuna etc off the East coast of Australia. He and his friend have been using composite blanks in the 5'8" - 6'6" range and have been landing some really great catches. The problem they are finding is that they are regulary breaking the tip sections of their blanks. I put this down to "high sticking" when they get their fish close to the kayak. They would be in a position where they would be keeping tention on the rod handle while trying to lip or gill the fish with their free hand. You can imagine what this wold be like with a rampaging king or tuna at boatside.

I am after any recommendations for blanks, composite or fibreglass, which have plenty of butt power yet able to handle the sudden surge of big fish in close. I have never built or designed a rod for this purpose. The second problem is that these "Yak" fishermen like to attach a lanyard to the rod positoned near the bottom guide. Obviously this is a security measure to prevent the rod being pulled into the drink. They fish with either big spinning reels or mid range overhead game reels using 50lb braid (sounds like fun attached to a big Yellowfin Tuna?).

Thanks beforehand for any replies.

Regards
Mark Fisher
Outback

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kayak Blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 08, 2006 05:21PM

Another thing that breaks rods in kayaks, is the guys who use longer kayaks and can't lead or follow a fish around the boat. So they have to put the rod under water and try to do something that way. If the fish keeps swimming on the other side of the boat, a broken rod can be the result.

Preventing a high-sticking break is just a matter of education between you and your customer. If they never reel beyond about one rod length of line past the tip and try to keep their rod at less than a 45 degree angle to the line, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Of course, in the excitement of a fight in close quarters...

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 08, 2006 08:42PM

Mark; You might send an E-Mail to Seeker rods and try one of their new "Super Seeker" blanks. They are a really tough blank and I'm sure they will ship to you Down Under.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 01:00PM

I can't help with a blank suggestion, but as far as the lanyard, if they insist on attaching it near the first guide (which seems like it would be in the way an awful lot), maybe wrap a small, off-color, double foot near that area just for that purpose that couldn't be mistaken for a line guide? Other options could be a brass eye bolt countersunk in the butt cap (which I've done on some kid rods for lanyards), or a small cutout area on the bottom of the grip in the rear area revealing a piece of brass rod to tie off to.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (124.182.183.---)
Date: November 09, 2006 09:40PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Mick I like the ideas with the lanyard connection. Jim I will have a look at the Super Seekers. I did't think of them originally but I agree, they might just fit the requirements. Tom you are right about them having to put the rod into the water to try and manouver the fish. Several have been broken this way.

Thanks again
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster