I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel plates?
Posted by: Gary Richmond (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 12:48AM

Looking thru a ton of photos here and couldn't help but notice that nobody seems to use the plates.
I decided I'll try one on a rebuild,,,, but now I'm wondering,,,,, is there any particular (negative) reason why I'm not seeing any ideas (pix)?
Beginning to wonder if they're any good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel plates?
Posted by: keith ireland (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 29, 2006 06:01AM

Gidday Gary, I live in australia and when you say reel plates do you mean like a backing plate on a side cast reel. I don't know if you use this type of reel where you are but maybe you could post a picture of what you need. See ya Keith.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 06:13AM

I am thinking he's referring to either a plate seat, or the reel foot from a penn international that is used as a reference for sighting the length of the rod for guide alignment.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 29, 2006 08:20AM

If you're talking about the Fuji plate seats, yes they're very good. Extremely good, in fact.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 11:02AM

I agree with Tom. The Fuji plate seats are very good, easy to apply and make a great replacement seat.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 11:54AM

I have a 10 ft Lamiglas casting rod will trow 5-6oz and a bait a good distance. will be rebuilding and extending the butt 6-10 inches,was thinking of replacing the reel seat with a fuji plate seat at that time. But I had someone suggest that it might not be suitable for my reel due to the width of the reel (Abu 7000). The Butt looks to me to have been Broken and cut down to remove the bad part,only 20 Inches from reel seat. My 8&Bait Spinning rod is 27 from the seat.

Any input? Will it work with that reel

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2006 01:09PM

I have the LS-7 mounted on a 20# outfit and use a Penn 500 with it. Fits just fine. I do use a clamp with it just for safety.

Date: October 29, 2006 01:45PM

I will be using a Fuji FS-7 its the Black seat Same thing?

Date: October 29, 2006 04:23PM

Yes, I'm refering to the Fuji FS6B in particular.
Willbe on a lighter conv. rod for the Penn 525 Mag.
I think it will look good tied on with the thread coloring of the guides.
Also would think it to be much more comfortable to the hand.

Date: October 29, 2006 04:26PM

Yes, I'm refering to the Fuji FS6B in particular. [www.anglersresource.net]
Willbe on a lighter conv. rod for the Penn 525 Mag.
I think it will look good tied on with the thread coloring of the guides.
Also would think it to be much more comfortable to the hand.

Date: October 29, 2006 04:28PM

No "delete"?

Date: October 29, 2006 05:16PM

Gary; Thank you for your reply All this is what I originally thought. Also the comfort thing ( as closer on the blank, over cork tape)

Date: October 29, 2006 09:54PM

Barry -
Just checked, My ABU 7000 fits the FS6 just fine.
You may want a FS5,, (front end first,, just makes it). I could of gotten away with it as far as fitting the reel(s) to it, but thought about the leverage issue and opted for a longer plate. It moves the rear tie-in further to the rear. Should be stronger on the rod I think with the wraps. (I'm rather abusive with gear) I got mine at Mudhole (if I can say that). Scott was extreemly helpful in getting this to happen for me.

Tom,
Thanks again for the "thumbs up". Was beginning to wonder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster