I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Rod Dryer R.P.M. ?
Posted by: Rick Marsters (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 07:19AM

Hello,
Thanik you for taking the time to read this post.

Could you tell me what the best R.P.M. is for a rod dryer.
I have been seeing a variety of speeds.
Any information will be appreciated.
Thank you and Good Health.
Rick Marsters

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Rod Dryer R.P.M. ?
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 08:25AM

What kind of rod - length, diameter, type of guides, type of finish, technique of finish, how many at a time, temperature and space. There may be a lot of variables that you should consider when asking this question. Perma Gloss on a fly rod has a different set of conditions from a stand up tuna stick with roller guides and a two part epoxy finish.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 09:05AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 10:45AM

The general concensus is about 16-20 rpm. Some like faster, some turn drying rods by hand from choice. The two drying motors I use are a 16rpm. and one that turns at 18rpm. Lately I've tried hand turning as Tom K. reccomends and for me the jury is still out. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 10:46AM

Rick,
I use a Flex Coat 18 RPM dryer. I first apply the epoxy while turning the rod by hand. I make all types of rods from fly rods to surf rods and the 18 RPM has served me well. I had a 6 RPM before that I really liked but the motor wore out. One of my sons then bought me this one that I use now. I prefer the 6 over the 18 because it is easier to inspect the finish for bubbles while the rod is turning.

Posted by: eric zamora (71.128.252.---)
Date: October 27, 2006 10:50AM

i have a rod dryer of wood i bought from @#$%&. it turns at 6rpm. i think 6 works fine for drying but i surely wish i had something faster for APPLICATION of thread finish. 11rpm sounds good to me. i've never tried anything faster than 6rpm so those 18rpm+ numbers scare me (half joking).

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 11:29AM

I have them from 3 to 30 and personally, I prefer the 3 for the most part although I think any will work. It's probably mostly personal preference.
Having said that, I actually prefer hand turning. For me, I get a better finish. I think that the ideal one would be variable speed (if I can figure out how to make one at a reasonable cost)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 11:30AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 27, 2006 12:42PM

For applying finish, I use a 200 RPM motor, I bought just the motor portion of the Flex Coat unit. Then after that, I take the rod and place it on a 4 RPM dryer to let it finish.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 02:09PM

I gererally apply finish at 16 or 18rpm. but lately I'm experimenting with hand turning as I apply finish and drying. As I said above, the jury is still out. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: October 27, 2006 04:43PM

Rick, I have three motors that I use for a dryer. I made up a setup with 1/4 " rod which the flex coat coupler fits on, and used it as a jack shaft. which is just another way of saying gear reduction setup. It is a bracket made of wood, which is 1x4 " 6" tall, I then glued 1/4" bearings in the holes drilled in the wood. and installed the shaft about 10" long into the bearings. used lock collars on the shaft, and this whole unit I mounted on to a 2x12 piece of board. I then used solid plastic shafting 1 1/2 " diameter and drilled 1/4 " hole in the center. I then used my lathe to cut the pulley and cut it off the plastic shaft. I cut the pulley with a round nosed lathe bit. and mounted two of these pulleys on the top or jack shaft. I then mounted a 168 rpm motor on the 2x12 board, and a 40 rpm motor on the board, on one side of the shaft. I then mounted a 6 rpm motor on the opposite side of the shaft. I then used Hoover vaccum cleaner brush head o rings which I got at the hardware store for 2.29 , 3 belts. one extra. I have the ratio on the 168 at about 200 rpm the 40 rpm at 40 rpm as I used the same size plastic pulley on the motor and the shaft, as with the 168 I made the pulley on the shaft larger to gain more rpms. and the 6 rpm is across from the 40 rpm so it also only turns at 6 rpms. Now I got the motors from allelectronics for all less than 25.00 . So I put the finish on the rod at 200 rpms, and jump that o ring off the pulley, and turn off motor, and switch either to 40 or 6 rpm for finishing. This whole unit is portable. and on top of this I built a dryer box which the coupler end is into. the dryer box has two halogen lights that are used for under the counter lighting in the kitchen cupboard, which produce a lot of heat, and at last I cut a two strips of clear plexiglass for the top to keep out dust, and keep in the heat. I can get the temp up to 90 degrees, and this helps speed up the dry time. I have total cost in the whole unit about 85.00. for the box I used white shelving 8ft long for the bottom and sides, with the one side removeable to be able to put finish on and then replace and cover until the rod is dry. I prefer to put finish on at 200 rpm and turn for the 2 hour time at 6 rpms.At this speed you will not get the foot balls , that normally occur when turning at too high of speed when drying. Galen Briese If I can be of more help please email me.

Whats the best multiple rod dryer
Posted by: Wade Rowe (---.sparkbb.co.nz)
Date: May 06, 2019 12:03AM

What is the best multiple rod dryer? I am doing a lot of repairs and I was contemplating the CRB 4 rod vertical mount dryer. Are there any pitfalls with this dryer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster