I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Insert: New Style question
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 08:19PM

Hi all,

I've noticed a new style of reel seats on some fenwick and loomis factory rods where the insert is cork, (typically rubberized) but the top/hood section of the uplocking seat has a larger OD than the rear section. It creates a tapered insert to the fore grip. The reel seat section is flat which gives it sort of a trapezoidal look if viewed from the bottom where the reel would mount. Picture out of the Fenwick site:

[www.fenwickfishing.com]

Sorry if this has been covered but I think customers would find this cool. I searched several catalogs and couldn't find any skeleton seats to match this style.

Does anyone know who makes this? (Fuji, I assume) I'd like to have a couple of these around.

Thanks,

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Insert: New Style question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 08:23PM

You can pretty much bet that it's made specifically for Fenwick and not available as a component.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: October 18, 2006 08:29PM

Hey Mike,

It's exactly the same reel seat on some Loomis handles as well so it's not custom to Fenwick. Here's the picture from the Loomis site:

[products.gloomis.com]

The rear/adjustable hood section looks like the normal skeleton seat. The upper hood section is the difference.

Thanks,

Terry

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 08:36PM

Terry,
The link above goes nowhere.
Mike is probably correct about the seat being proprietary. You might try Merrick or if Fuji makes it Anglers Rsrc/Fjui (links on the right)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anthony Lee (---.cache.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: October 18, 2006 08:47PM

Terry,

That's a Fuji IPS -SD16 reel seat.

Anthony Lee

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 10:36PM

No, it's a Weibe style skeleton seat (or a Weibe seat for that matter), with the shaped composite insert. It's not hard to replicate using regular graphite skeleton seats (16/17/18). I do it with composite cork as well. Takes some shaping without a lathe, but on a lathe it's really easy to turn a cone barrel, then file the flat for the reel foot to sit on. There is a picture of one of mine on the photo page, titled "Ergonomic Reel seat". Size 17 for me is the most comfortable setup for me. It is also possible to increase the size of the hump by using a larger rear hood if you can.

Date: October 19, 2006 08:34AM

Thanks Anthony and Ted,

Makes sense. Are the Weibe skeletons available? If not, I was heading in exactly the direction you mentioned on using a larger front hood size and a 16 rear section on the skeleton.

Take care and thanks again.

Terry

Date: October 19, 2006 08:41AM

Angler's workshop has them. I was just up there yesterday and didn't have this on my list.

Oh well, another excuse to make a trip. :-)

Terry

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: October 19, 2006 11:19PM

Custom Tackle has them too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster