I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Guide Concept System... When the intersection point doesn't exist.
Posted by: Samer Ibrahim (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 04:34PM

Hello

I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance as far as how the concept guide system works when there is no intersection point (http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/newguide.html) when you mount the reel you expect to be using. I have a 6'6" 12-20lb blank. I put the reel I intend on using on it but apparently the reel's midpoint never really intersects withthe rod because the reel foot is somewhat long. Is it ok to use a smaller reel to figure out the correct distances for the guides?

Thanks
Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Guide Concept System... When the intersection point doesn't exist.
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 04:58PM

Concept guideing is specific to one reel , or reels of similar measuremnts such as upsweep angle ( which must be non existant to have no intersection point) spool centerline distance away from the blank. Use a 1st guide placement of 19-21" inches away from the spool face. Use high frame guides start with a 25 if a 4000 sized Shimano reel , or a 20 is a 2000, 2500 size. Run three guides back to the blank making a funnel the 4th guide being the intersecting point, ( the guide rings should be visible one inside the other as you sight through them for the funnel guides) use 6's on out to the tip from there

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 01, 2006 06:48PM

HERE WE GO AGAIN -

Samer Ibrahim - In a word, you will guestimate, discover, generate, impose, create, "wing" or divine a suitable Intersect Point for your particular rod blank's taper and intended style of guides. You will use a combination of common sense; interaction with the rod blank while bending it; and some more "Looks Right To Me" to develop a conspiracy of appropriate design layout. This is NOT an exact science with a unique solution to begin with, so do not lose too much sleep over it.

In my opinion, the Intersect Point should be somewhat forward of where the rod blank starts to deviate noticeably from the lower straight backbone. On your size rod, that is likely to be ~20-24" up from the BUTT Guide. Then everything upward from there toward the rod-tip will be your smaller RUNNING guides.

For a typical 6 foot to 6-1/2 foot Spinning Rod, If you look at the distance from your REEL SPOOL to your ROD-TIP, then:
LOWER-THIRD is REEL SPOOL to BUTT GUIDE - the OPEN Zone
MIDDLE-THIRD is BUTT GUIDE to CHOKER GUIDE - the FUNNEL Zone
UPPER-THIRD is CHOKER GUIDE to TIP-TOP - the RUNNING Zone

Sam, and others - Divest yourself of the impression that the Reel's UPSWEEP ANGLE is an essential or immutable or even significant determination of where the Intersect Point should be. It was a CONVENIENCE instituted to quickly communicate a facil method of guide placement. It has some inherent assumptions about reel sizes and upsweep angles, and every now & then, the limits of those assumptions are encountered. ... I'm sticking to the short version of this can of worms for now. Gotta run.

Search the RBO Archives for
SEARCH = "INTERSECT POINT" --> ALL DATES
SEARCH = "TRIFECTA" MESSAGE BODY + "HALL" AUTHOR
SEARCH = "CAN OF WORMS" MESSAGE BODY + "HALL " AUTHOR

TOM KIRKMAN is, of course, the final authority on his Intersect Method. The only trouble with using his name as the AUTHOR it is that sometimes you get so many hundreds of RETURN RESULTS in a Search that it becomes next to impossible to wade thru and find what you are looking for.

DATES around July-Aug.2005; Dec.2005-Jan.2006; and recently in May-Aug.2006 should prove interesting.

Remember that your STATIC LOAD Test will also influence your guide placement & selection, which is what you are sort of doing by bending the rod blank to determine a good Intersect Point.

Think BIG PICTURE and that will help you, too.
Good Luck & Best Wishes, Sam, ... B)- ... from -Cliff Hall, FL-USA.

Re: Uplifted / angled reels ... Cliff Hall ... 12-03-05 5:21PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Rob Heaton - the reel's upweep angle has very little effect on all this. This is a bit of a can of worms. See for yourself. -Cliff Hall+++

Steve Gardner - thanks, that's a simpler way to describe it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 07:08PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 06:56PM

Samer;
Place the blank against a wall and bend the tip out to about 90% from the wall. The point at which the blank starts to lose contact with the wall will be your approximant intersect point

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2006 08:23PM

Compromise, adapt, overcome,

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 04:13AM

Mike, No disrespect intended, but if you are quoting Clint Eastwood, it should be improvise. I agree 100%!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: October 02, 2006 10:20AM

Samer, I had the exact same problem as you a few months ago, and posted this: [www.rodbuilding.org]. I followed what Tom recommended (and what Steve Gardner is recommending above), and found the choke point by bending the blank. I can proudly say that I've used that plugging rod many times since, and it's performed excellently.

Looking back, I think now that my concern with finding the exact choke point was a little bit overdone -- getting it in the right vicinity should work fine. Locate it as Steve Gardner suggests above and you should be fine. Good luck.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 09:36PM

No disrespect William....Improvise sounds pretty good too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster