I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy finish question
Posted by: gene bethea (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 08:24AM

I am having some trouble with epoxy application. Using the PacBay single foot guides on flyrods, after wrapping the guide I apply a thin coat of flex-coat lite, let it dry, cut of the little bumps, etc., then , using the plastic end of a small art brush, I apply another coat of flexcoat lite, using the method described by Garcia in his book and video. My problem is that the epoxy runs away from the base of the guide; where the foot and guide meet. I have checked the level of my rod in the turner and thats okay. I use a thread-lock to hold guide in place, which means that one or two threadwraps are under the edge of the foot, which may be my problem. My question to the experienced, is what could be the cause of the epoxy running away from the end of the guide foot, where the foot/guide meet?and , of course, how do I eliminate the problem? Thanks, in advance, for any advice ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy finish question
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 09:22AM

Im not an expert , but i think i can help. i think u mean that when ur finishig the guides the finish is running over the top of the threads and forming an ugly looking glob of epoxy that clings to the blank and the neck of the guide? I've had the same problem, and the best way i can tell you what I do is...I rotate the rod on my turner for a few mins after the second coat...I than use a mcdonalds stirrer to wick away the excess epoxy from in between the guide and the blank. I just did a $$$ rod that i forgot to do this on one of the sections...will it hurt the blank? I hope not, but looks ugly...one day I'll redo it, but the rods for me and it will stiff fish fine.

hope this helps

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Date: October 01, 2006 09:41AM

Well, actually what my problem is, is just the opposite; from the "neck" of the one foot guides, the epoxy runs back toward the end of the foot( hope that is clear)What I have is the threads closest to where the foot meets the line guide are void of any epoxy and the end of the foot has too much; I've raked it back while it is being applied, but when I start turning it, it leaves the "hump" where the foot and line guide meet. I have made probably 50-60 rods, and this problem has just came up; and i cannot figure out what is wrong.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 10:04AM

Sorry, I misunderstood ya....

hope u figure it out and post the solution so It dont happen to me...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 10:08AM

When you say your rod is level do you mean that you put a level on it or did you measure to the center of the rod from the lathe bed or rod stands to the bench? If you are measuring to the center of the blank (as you should) then perhaps the table you are working on isn't level to start with.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 10:22AM

Just a theroy, but you might wait till the 2nd coat of epoxy is just plyable still able to move. This may be after an hour or so of spinning , oyu miight mix up extra and check the mixing cup for the state of the cure. At this time turn off the rod spinner/dryer and place the guides down and tip the rod sothe epoxy moves up to the top of the guide foot, and let sit for 10 mins then start turning again. You might try this earlier on than an hour which is just a guestimate, letting the drop pool where you want it, wait a short peroid then start spinning again, watch what happens and if the epoxy is going where you want it....Alternatives: tip your whole set up to angle down to the side you need it , but double foots would then be a problem. OR apply three thin coats and know that you are and plan accordingly. Too much epoxy in the location you mention can lead to line slap.

Date: October 01, 2006 11:24AM

thats a good theory; that I am applying the epoxy lite before it jels enough to hold the position; but I have been making rods using this same stuff 3-4 years, and all of a sudden it starts happening;also, not all the guides are this way; only a few; the three thin coats may also be the solution; never used three except on one rod; and it "footballed" on me and had to cut it off.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 01:02PM

A picture would be worth a thousand words. Just a thought.

Footballs won't happen unless there is too much epoxy on the wrap. This wrap.... [www.rodbuilding.org] ....has four (4) coats of epoxy. All applied fairly heavy and allowed to self level.

Best of luck with your current situation. If you can get a picture of the problem wraps, put them on the photo board. I'm still a little confused as to the actual problem.

Jay

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 09:03PM

Contamination???

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: October 03, 2006 11:01AM

If to much were applied the foot ball would be towards the guide ring and not the foot end.
Cantamination will usually result in some fisheyes. And this sound like a cantimination issue. Any changes in how the guides are prepared ie grinding or filing, any change in thread, cleaning of hands prior to wrapping, and so on.
Try turning by hand if all else fails.
Have you considered using U40 Perma Gloss. Very lite and tough finish for fly rods. It can be built up to look like thin coat epoxy using about 7 thin coats.
Joe

Posted by: gene bethea (67.77.74.---)
Date: October 03, 2006 11:49AM

I have not tried U40, but i've heard its good stuff; still haven't figured out my problem, but some great suggestions to check out; it still baffles me. But, thanks everybody, for your suggestions...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster