I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Preformed Bamboo Burl Cork Grips
Posted by: Chris Robinson (---.226.249.12.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 06:02PM

Hello Gentlemen,

I am looking for some preformed Bamboo Burl Cork Grips for a special rod I'm starting. I do not have the necessary equipment to turn grips yet; so I need a 2-3" tapered fore grip, a 6" pistol grip, and about a 6" tapered rear grip. I have found the foregrip and rear grip at Pacbay; but can not find a 6" pistol grip anywhere. If anyone knows where I may get this item, Please let me know It will be greatly appreciated. I would really like to get going on this rod....

My thanks to all who reply,
Chris Robinson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Preformed Bamboo Burl Cork Grips
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: September 27, 2006 07:39PM

correct me of i'm wrong but "bamboo burl" is a specific name given to those cool looking cork grips offered by pacific bay, and nobody else. check their site. if they do not show what you need, chances are, it's simply not available. ask them about pistol grips. i once asked about the availability of bamboo burl cork RINGS and they said nope, not at that time.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 07:41PM

I don't think it is commercially available so you should get the latest issue of Rodmaker and it will lead you right through step by step. You won't be turning a pistol grip anyway. The hard part is going to be finding "bamboo" burl rings in a diameter big enough with a similar grain/shade to those preformed grips. Your best bet might be to square off two or three preformed bamboo burl grips, glue them together, and then break out the file.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2006 10:37PM

Man I wished the offered that stuff in rings....I've used em a few times and I love the look when its coated with a few coats of tru oil....Hopefully they will offer the rings soon....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 11:11PM

Danny - there really is nothing wrong with cutting up a premade grip like that and inlaying pieces into another grip and sanding it to shape or turning them into split grips or whatever. I also like it as an alternative to the other various cork, burl, evas, etc. The grain is definitely unique to our cork choices.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 12:01AM

Take a look at Andy Dears Laguna burl as well as this others [www.lamarfishing.com] and like Josh said, it would ne easy to cut the preformed grips into rings.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 01:09AM

ive used andys cork, VERY nice, and have cut up the preformed too, but for turning a larger dia grip im on the bamboo burl end....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2006 07:58AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2006 07:59AM

Andy will punch larger ring diameters by special request.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-216-121.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 03:32PM

I have the facilities to manf. exotic burl rings up to seveal inches in diameter if necessary.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Chris Robinson (---.227.112.148.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: September 28, 2006 03:41PM

My genuine thanks to Eric, Josh, Danny, Mike, and Tom; I have contacted Andy about the PacBay burl, and he informs me that is only available through them. I will continue to research and inform you of my findings. I am eager to get going on my rod and will check out Andy's Laguna burl also. Again my Thanks for all of the advice.

Best regards,
Chris Robinson

Posted by: Art Parramoure (216.136.126.---)
Date: September 30, 2006 03:39AM

Cabela's carry the preformed bamboo cork, and I think Wild River carries it also.

Posted by: Chris Robinson (---.226.249.23.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 11:12AM

Again my thanks to all who posted, you have been very helpful. It is refreshing, to me to find so many people willing to help! I have still been looking for the rings with no success. And have contacted Andy (a very kind and considerate person) he is sending me some samples of his Laguna rings to try. ?? To Art would you have the address for Wild River? If so, and if you have time will you post it for me? I did a search for it and came up with as you could guess, about 1,550,000 hits. I really want to get started on my rod; and would be pleased to take the shortest route possible. I have also contacted Pac-Bay by e-mail conerning a pistol grip or rings for sale, as yet they have not gotten back with me, It dose however, seem that they are the only source for the bamboo burl.

Best regards,
Chris

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster