I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sealer for Seasoning Wood
Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 08:56PM

Hello All,
I have a bunch of native hardwood that I want to turn for making reel seats. It's green right now but the CA sun is quickly trning it into checkered firewood. I need to chunk the pieces and get a sealer on the end grain. I need some suggestions for a good sealing product that won't penetrate the wood. I assume something with wax is good but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for any help!

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sealer for Seasoning Wood
Posted by: Scott Gadsby (71.224.91.---)
Date: September 27, 2006 09:13PM

Hi Andrew,
I would recommend a product called anchorseal, its a wax specifically designed for this purpose. I have had great success using it on wood I had milled from a fallen black cherry tree, no checking whatsoever.
[www.uccoatings.com]
Hope this helps.

Scott

Posted by: Paul Kneller (124.176.103.---)
Date: September 28, 2006 06:34AM

Andrew
Just cut them to size and dip them in hot wax making sure they are completely sealed all over. If the wood you have is prone to shrinkage cut them a little bigger than needed. Paul.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 07:30AM

Andrew,
WoodCraft has substances called PolyCryl and PolyCrete. Never used them, but am going to try them once I get to building again. Bob

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 08:20AM

Anchorseal works very well. Highland Hardware has it and free shipping for the next few days.

[www.highlandwoodworking.com]

Herb

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: September 28, 2006 09:28AM

While wax is ideal I have found any substance that seals the end grain such as paint or glue can be very effective as long as it is applied heavy enough to make a complete seal. I had an extra bottle of trim glue that I applied to green juniper rounds until it was used up. It worked great and was easy to apply.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: September 28, 2006 10:14AM

Second the motion for Anchorseal. That is what it is specifically made for.

It is a water based wax emulsion. Easy to work with and clean up. Just slap it on with a big brush.

Yes, almost anything else will work also. And it needs to be done quickly after cutting. Within a couple of days or less. And anything you put on it will be better than nothing.

The blanks should not be in the sun! Shade cloth is often used by wood driers. Or burlap. something to restrict sun and air flow a little to lower the drying rate. Or under a shed cover.

Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.sub-75-214-58.myvzw.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 06:17PM

Guys,
Thanks for the tips. Should I cut the wood on all sides or just chunk them and leave the bark on? Thanks

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 08:00PM

Andrew,

I usually cut slabs about 1.25" X 4" X 12" or so. I then anchorseal all surfaces, stack with spacers between for 9 months to a year. It's important not to be in a hurry by using the wood before it is ready. Works well for me.

Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster