I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal application questions
Posted by: Will Whitaker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:50PM

Good Morning,

I am getting ready to apply a couple of decals and have a few quick questions.

1) How long must I wait to apply a decal after the first coat of epoxy? Also what is the maximum time I can wait before I can apply?

2) Would you use high build or lite epoxy as the final epoxy?

3) How long must I wait after applying decal before I can apply the final epoxy?

Again thank you for your help.

Will Whitaker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal application questions
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:59PM

1) when it becomes hard
2) your discretion
3) you can apply immediately after applying decal

Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: September 14, 2006 04:11PM

I have only done one decal, but I thoroughly read two different instruction sheets, and if using MicroSet and MicroSol, they recommend waiting 24 hrs after decal application before you put on epoxy to allow complete drying.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2006 08:23PM

Scott Youschak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1) when it becomes hard
> 2) your discretion
> 3) you can apply immediately after applying decal

#3 if it is a sticky back decal immediatly if it is a water slide 24 hrs is a safe bet.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 15, 2006 10:19AM

Fred made a great observation. There is a big difference between peel-n-stick decals and waterslide decals.

The peel-n-stick kind could be called peel-n-sitck-n-epoxy decals because you can do it just that fast. I'm sure to burnish the decal well upon application working from the center out. After stuck with no air bubbles be sure to burnish the edges. After that you can immediately apply epoxy.

Waterslides are much different. After application they are extremely soft. You NEVER want to burnish a waterslide. They usually come with their own set of instructions (Decal Connection has an instruction sheet on their web site) as do the Micro Sol and Micro Set if you decide to use them. After application I normally wait at least six hours and as much as 24.

Decals can usually be covered by a single application of 'lite' epoxy without the edges showing. Multiple applications or the use of high-build is up to the user.

Jay

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: September 16, 2006 01:23PM

On the area I place the decals, I like to do a thread border. Usually on the one end will be the thread wrapping the hookkeeper. I'll leave a space for the decal area and place a matching thread wrap top side border. I will then CP the threadwraps (choice) and the blank area. When that is dried, I'll put one layer of epoxy on the blank in between the wraps. Follow up with the waterslide application. A 1/2 day of drying. Then epoxy the band, decal, and hookkeeper wrap as one. Most of the time it comes out perfectly level. If not, another layer of epoxy and its complete.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster