I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lamiglas information
Posted by: Robin Marsett (---.hsd1.ar.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 05:15PM

I am planning to build two fly rods for trout. On is to be a 9’ four piece #2/3 for small streams and the other a 9’ four piece #5/6 for Alaska trout/steelhead. I am considering lamiglas blanks for these rods. I only have experience with their fiberglass blanks and know nothing about their graphite blanks. I am looking at the im700 and the XMG50. Any opinions will be welcome.

I tried to post this a couple of weeks ago but managed to mess up my registration and was unable to view any responses. I apologize for the duplication.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lamiglas information
Posted by: Dean Veltman (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 07:05PM

I have a factory lamiglass appalachian 5 wt that I love. I believe it is made with the XMG50 graphite but I do not think they offer that series in a 9' , although for a small stream rod, you might want to consider a shorter rod than a 9' anyway. I am a fly fishing novice, but this rod seems to be about perfect to me.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 08:11PM

If you are a lamiglas loyalist, the IM700 series are good quality blanks. However, Lamiglas rarely gets mentioned in discussions about favorite or most requested blanks. You may consider Rainshadow RX7 or RX8 as a capable alternate. Also, the new switch blanks that Bob Meiser developed would be ideal for this kind of fishing. At 10 1/2' they can be used as either overhand or 2-handed styles. I have built a rod on this blank and it is most excellent.

Having fished trout in Alaska, and Steelhead in the Pacific NW, I think a 5/6 wt rod would be a bit on the light side. I think a 6 wt minimum or a 7 wt would be a better choice. I've caught a number of steelhead on my 6 wt and it is barely up to the task. It will depend on the kind of flies you will be using. If you are chucking mouse patterns and heavy egg-@#$%& leaches the 7 wt may be a better choice.

Even Lamiglas' graphite blanks will be considerably lighter and crisper than the glass blanks you have used.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 09:08PM

The Lamiglas IM700 blanks are more of a med fast action like the All Star Austin and older St Croix SCIV, etc. The XMG 50 blanks are a faster blank. Angler's Workshop had an excellent discount price on a few Ti2000 titanium butt/IM700 mid and tip last time I was in the back, they were 5 wts, 9ft long I believe. I have a 9 ft 6 in. 7 wt XMG 50 that is an excellent steelhead rod, I also have a 10 ft 5 wt. that I enjoy while stillwater trout fishing. There are some reveiws of some of the Lamiglas line of blanks in the archives of @#$%&, they too like them very much. My Perigee 5/6 Lamiglas blank has a large, light weight, but stiff butt, it would work as a summer steelhead rod no problem, fishing comets, optics, Teeny nymphs #6 and smaller, etc.

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: September 03, 2006 09:33PM

I built 9' 6 WT on an XMG50 that I use mosty for smallmouth bass and I'm extremely happy with it. It is a very fast blank. Terry mentioned that Lamiglas rarely gets mentioned among peoples' favoraites and that's true but I also have wondered why - they're among mine anyway. With regard to the small stream rods that Lamiglas produces, if we're talking about the Appalachian Trout rods - they are made from the XMG50 blanks but they are have much softer actions and a different finish. The other series of XMG50's, like the one I built, have a dark plum color, are available in 2 or 4 piece models and, again, have very fast actions. The Appalachian series has a sanded natural graphite finish, have a softer action and, as I recall, come only in 3 piece models. I also believe that 8'6" is as long as the come.

I guess it depends on your definition of a small stream but a 9' rod sounds like a long rod for what I think of as a small steam situation. I normally think in the 6' to 7'6" range for small streams. If your using the long rod to "dapple" you fly and avoid most casting altogether as I know some people prefer to do, then a 9 footer may be a good choice. I think you'll need to look for another series in that case. Dan Craft may be a good choice for that.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2006 12:08PM

Personally, I am EXTREMELY impressed by their XMG50 spin blanks. Weight for power, I've not seen their equal in their larger diameber spin blanks although I've not compared them against the GLX. This makes the XMG50 extremely high performance for the $. However, the challenge with Lamiglas is that I sometimes find it quite difficult to reach the appropriate people when issues arises.

This doesn't tell you about the fly blanks but I do have a 9 1/2" salmon blank so my experience may be relevant to your fly blanks.

In all, I have no qualms about recommending the XMG50. IM700 I have no experience about.

Mo

Posted by: Robin Marsett (---.hsd1.ar.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2006 11:02PM

I want to thank everyone for their responses. They have been very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster