I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

musky rod ??
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 04:38PM

It’s rained steadily for 3 days now and I’ve started thinking about building a couple of musky rods for my winter projects. [spiral wrap] I know some of you fish regularly for musky, so what would some of the qualities be that you look for in a good musky rod?? Length – material [glass—graphite etc?] Do you prefer spinning tackle –Bait casting. Guide size . what brand blanks do you like? Why? I caught a large walleye? sauger? sargee? or something with a lot of teeth earlier this year outta the Ohio and my light bass tackle was over matched SO I'm thinking heavier equipment

Thanks
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: musky rod ??
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2006 05:54PM

RodMaker Volume 7 #3 had an in-depth article on building musky rods, complete with the various types of rods used in musky fishing. Also numerous specific recommendations for blanks for each respective purpose.

I don't build many musky rods and would not feel comfortable steering you to any blanks in particular. I will defer to the article.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: September 03, 2006 08:47AM

Your blanks depend on what you're going to be tossing. Big variation between a Bucktail rod and a Jerkbait rod.

Casting rods only.

The only time I care for glass is trolling. Otherwise graphite all the way.

I prefer longer rods. For playing fish, for figure 8'ing, for casting, for getting your bait out away from the boat, for absorbing shock when a fish strikes with less than 2 feet of line out from your tip. 7'6" and 8' rods.

St. Croix is my manufacturer of choice. They live and fish right in the heart of Muskie country and they've done a great job with their blanks.

The 3M76MHF is one of the best all around rod blanks I've used. That's certainly a blank I'd steer anyone towards for their first stick. It excells with Bucktails which are a must have bait. And it handles a lot of other baits well.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 08:37PM

Ken , check out the Close Out page on our website Fishsticks 4u , we just put some Rainshadow IMU blanks on it , at close out prices . Maybe there is something you can use . We are on the sponsor list.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 06:25AM

A graphite pool cue would be just about right :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster