I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perma Gloss Puzzle
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:07PM

Three seven foot popping rods: 6 inch A nylon underwrapped area with trim bands on butt. Three double foot Alconites + 4 fly single foot with Forhan wrap + 1 inch tip top wrap A.

One 5.5 foot standup with 4 inch underwrap + metallic underwrap 51 Roller Guide with two D guide wraps + 6 double foot boat guides + roller top with 1 inch thread wrap.

Four rods in all are completely wrapped and ready for first coat. I have one wall four hole dryer, one Pac Bay with dryer motor and one V block stand to work with.

I am ready to put Perma Gloss on all four rods. I have Perma Gloss in can with screw inserted + clean shot glass + soft bristle artist brushes + xylene, acetone, mineral spirits, denaured alcohol, paper towels, clean lint free rags. Is there anything else that will help me out.

I have an idea as to the small amount of PG needed. It will take less than three minutes each for the rods to do on the Pac Bay. Overall all four rods will take less that thirty minutes.
I have no clue as to how fast this stuff evaporates.

How many times to I need to pull the screw from the can How do you get from the can to the rod in the most effective manner? Do you go from can directly to brush or put PG in shot glass? If so I have drilled too large a hole -

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 08:31PM by Bill Stevens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perma Gloss Puzzle
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:24PM

Why bother putting it on the turner for the first coat? Open the can ver teh shot glass, over a piece of aluminum foil.

In about 20 minutes after you've coated all 4 rods, please let us know what worked. It ain't gonna take much for you to figure out.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:41PM

Bill, I've been dripping the PernaGloss from the can into a clean pimento pepper jar lid (with a little finger pressure on the can lid to make it flow out faster), putting the screw-eye back into the can and applying the PermaGloss from the pimento lid with cheap foam brushes. The foam brushes can be used more than once if reaidual PG is squeezed out into several layers of paper towels. Hope this helps.

Stan

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:48PM

Bill , looks to me the the Swifty finish would sure be easier than what you are going through .

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 08:50PM

Billy - the turners are just places to put the rods. I am applying on the Pac Bay at speed. I go through the above at least two times a week. I have already blown my budget on wasted Perma Gloss - the humidity here has not been under 90 percent in the last two weeks. Before I found out about the can with the screw I was leaving the bottle open on the bench. It only take a few drops of the stuff for each rod. When I put the drops for all the rods in the shot glass there is only a tiny puddle in the bottom of the glass and it evaporates (drys) before I can get to all the rods. I am looking for a "trick" from someone that has used a lot of this stuff. Kinda like Jesse's reel seat repair method - obvious but who wooda thunk it!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2006 10:47PM

Pull the screw and allow the amount you will need for all the rods into a small cup (one that will not melt from the PG). Reinstall the screw in the can.

Start working, brushing as little as possible. The PG in the cup will remain liquid for a decent time period, but that which you put on the rod wraps will set very, very quickly (you are spreading it out and exposing it to the moisture in the air). It is doubtful that you will need to rotate the rods. By the tip you have coated the tip most wraps, the butt wrap will be set.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 27, 2006 05:52AM

I usually just make a 'cup' with aluminum foil. Permagloss will stay liquid longer than you think as long as it is in bulk.

Jay

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2006 07:46AM

BIll, why not open and close it as often as you need? IT takes about 4 seconds to unscrew teh bolt then another 5 for teh PG to drip out, and 4 more seconds to screw teh bolt back in.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:43PM

Bill,

I would set aside all those organic solvents and use a cheap small brush. When you are done, toss it in the trash. With you allergies to epoxy you don't need any additional exposure to any of these things. By the time you figure the cost of the solvents, you probably end up spending more on the solvents than the brush is worth. I generally pour out 3-5 ml of PG in a small disposible medicine cup (But a shot glass would be fine-PG does not adhere very well to glass). I seem to get at least 15-20 min. to work with it in the cup.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster