I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather variety pack
Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 12:05AM

I recently wrote to Siskiyou Aviary interested in some of there feathers with ragards to rod building. I was confused about the price structure and the sizes of some of the feathers. There representative Kate got back too me right away with a simple description and answer to my questions and offered to send me a "starter pack". She said I could choose the feathers I wanted and send the ones I didn't want back with a check for the ones I didn't want. Well the feathers arrived today just 4 days since our corrispondence and in perfect condition. The whole envelope contains five zip lock bags labeled and priced neatly. There is one IB peacock (my fav), one church window, one grey, and two jungle cocks,In zip lock bags. Each zip lock bag contains about 15 or 20 feathers in prestine condition. The whole lot is only 26 dollars and its enough to keep me busy with feather inlays for quite a few rodsand then some! She won't get any of these back just a check for the entire lot for 26 dollars and a big endorsment for a very professional company. You guys should email kate at SA if you are looking for feathers for inlays and ask for the starter kit. Kate will take care of you. By the way Siskiyou Aviary is on the left sponser list if you didn't know. Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather variety pack
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 12:32AM

hey billy,

I had emailed kate a few days ago and she is doing the same thing for me, can't wait to recieve them. I was a little suprised at this, bacause it isn't everyday that a company will send you products to "see" if you like em', matter of fact, it's down right rare! Speaks leaps and bounds about their customer service...

Can't wait to recieve the package...

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 02:28AM

Danny boy in this day in age a company that actually trusts you to send you there product before the money really believes in the product. Once you see there feathers you will see why!! I wrote a check for $26.50 and still feel like i'm the one that got the best of the deal. Also I don't make flies but if i did that would be the company I would see first. Those jungle cock imatations are just perfect and the grey's well you will see! The only thing I regret is right now I don't have a rod going that needs a feather inlay because even though i just got them today I am dieing to play. I think a lot of the suppliers in our business could benefit from learning about "CUSTOMER SERVICE". Sorry to vent I have just had a bad week trying to deal with some of the suppliers we deal with. I try to satisfy everyone that I'm lucky enough to have buy my product and can't understand some of the suppliers who have a "we don't really need you you need us" attitude.Then I get someone like Kate at Siskiyou Aviary who is willing to go above and beyond and I am happy to point my friends in that direction. This is really a small community of rod builders and word of mouth goes a long way! Good product+ good service =successful business and sales growth!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 07:49AM

Kate did the samething for me last year.
What she did this year REALLY surprised me!
Earlier this year I got a hand written letter from Kate and
a small sample pack of feathers. She sent the letter to thank
me for my support and words posted on RBO. NEVER have
I received a thank you (hand written not a form letter) from any
supplier or vendor of ANY product.. Kate really appreciates her
customers and goes far beyond the norm to keep them.

Thanks Kate!
You earned every word of praise posted here long before you
sent that letter. If you only knew want that letter ment to me!

Keep up the great job!!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 02:59PM

Well guys, what do you know, I got home today and I got my package from Kate. BEAUTIFUL is alls I can say. Looks like I'm gonna have to keep em all....What an outstanding company!!!! 2 thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:29PM

I have had a few dealings with Kate and Siskiyou Aviaries over a few years now and do not believe you can have better customers service. They really are outstanding. Even all the way to Australia.

Regards
Mark
Outback Rods

Posted by: Kate Davidson (---.eug.or.uspops.net)
Date: August 22, 2006 07:08PM

Thank you customers for all the letters about the feathers for inlays. As I continue to collect, sort and clean new selections of feathers I
will put postings on the board. Also in an estimated 10 days the Siskiyou Aviary website will have been updated with many more
rod building photos and inlays. The website will also have a expanded section on the arts and uses of feathers. Many have contributed
to the "remodel" such as Terry Henson, Randy "Putter", Robert Meiser, Paul Miller, David Nelson and the Art of Angling Journal.

Kate Davidson
Siskiyou Aviary

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2006 07:58PM

Mark Fisher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have had a few dealings with Kate and Siskiyou
> Aviaries over a few years now and do not believe
> you can have better customers service. They really
> are outstanding. Even all the way to Australia.
>
> Regards
> Mark
> Outback Rods

I was going to ask if they ship to Australia, but I guess you answered the question Mark. I've seen some of your rods using feathers in the photo gallery here and also in Fishing World magazine and I like what you've done.

Are there any issues getting them into the country (with our strict quarantine laws etc) - ie is it technically legal to get them sent here?

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 23, 2006 05:50PM

Hi Michael,

I haven't had any issues "yet". Remember there are quite a few Fly Tying fishing stores and craft store who use a lot of Exotic feathers which most import. I know Kates feathers ar as clean as any you will get so there shouldn't be too many problems. It may be a little harder if you import a full skin (eg pheseant) Thanks for the compliments on my rods. They were a hobby that has become an addiction. If you need any help, drop me an email.

Regards
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster