I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork weight differences
Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: August 17, 2006 12:08AM

Does anyone know how much heavier regular burl is as compared to natural cork. I don't have any scales or natural cork on hand and I haven't found what I'm looking for in the archives. I just finished a 13" grip using regular burl and it seems quite heavy, although it looks rather nice. I am building on a Rainshadow RX7 flipping blank rated for up to 2.5oz. and is 7' long. I am a little disapointed in the weight of this blank. I ordered the blank after seeing on Batson's website that the blank weighed in at 3.05 oz., but after recieving a hard copy of the catalog, it shows the blank weighing in at 3.8oz which I was told was more current. Right now I'm torn between using natural cork and keeping the overall weight down, or using the heavier burl to help balance out the rod. I know I can go to a split grip, but the guy I'm building for doesn't want it. However, I plan to build one for myself in the future and it will have a split grip. What do you guys think would be my best bet weight wise for the full grip. Less overall weight, or a little heavier in the butt to help balance out the tip? I am I'm no way talking down Batson Ent. or the blank 'cause I think the blank is great. Really good value. Just wished I had known the true weight of the blank before purchase. Thanks guys.

TJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork weight differences
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2006 08:07AM

The burl is heavier and by quite a bit. Weigh 10 rings of each and then average to get a good idea of the weight per ring of each type.

You can always bore out the center of the burl grip and use an arbor or bushing of lightweight brick or urethane foam if weight is a major concern. Rod builders often do this with burl, exotic cork or wood grips.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.228.---)
Date: August 17, 2006 08:18AM

It would be difficult to say with accuracy how much heavier burl cork is than natural cork. The range in weight difference is wide as burl cork varies considerably depending on the binding agent and natural cork also varies somewhat. Some burl cork can be considerably heavier than natural however. If you are interested in component weight you may need to look for a set of postal scales in an office supply store or a set of powder scales designed for reloading. They both are relatively inexpensive and will reveal interesting information when comparing components. Some weight comparisons are surprising.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:13AM

This past weekend, we pulled out a scale so accurate that the numbers jump up and down when you blow on it. The composite burl rings that we used weighed in at slightly more than 3X natural cork.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 11:27AM

Tim,
The weight of burl cork varies considerably from supplier to supplier. The reason being that composite materials like we call "Burl" are available in a multitude of different densities and configurations. The problem is that most suppliers accept whatever density the manf. sends them, even though the quality may be less than perfect, many aren't even aware that there is a choice when having these materials manufactured. A denser material while heavier is less prone to chipping and flaking and quite simply looks A LOT better than lower density materials. Lower density materials have the same problem natural cork does, hich are seen as small holes and fissures, that sometimes are large enough they actually need to be filled.

While one person may come up with a weight 3x heavier, another may come up with one 5x heavier and so on, your best bet is to find a supplier that can reccomend a specific product for your application and what you're tryin to achieve....and in addition tell you what density you're getting and if possible give you some weights as well.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 04:42PM

Angler's Workshop Superfine cork - 25
C&D Trading Green Burl - 71
Lamar Burnt Burl - 95
C&D Trading Rubberized ring - 96

Just randomly grabbed a 1/2" thick ring out of each of those bins. Weight is in grains.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 01:36AM

Piggybacking on this thread: Assuming one uses regular cork, any guess or actual measurment how much weight flocking adds to the grip?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 10:44AM

One thing you guys need to keep in mind when weighing my exotic burl. My rings are BIGGER than 1.25" in diameter. They are more like 1.35" dia, so when weighing for accuracy be sure you somehow account for the lager size of my rings....perhaps stick them on a lathe and shave them down to exactly the same dia. as the other ring being compared.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.wcsonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 11:39AM

Thanks again guys for the expert insight. I'm still torn between a more balanced rod with a heavier butt, and a overall lighter rod. I guess the next one I'll try natural cork and see how I like that. Thanks again guys.
TJ

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:04AM

Really like Andy's stuff, just upgraded an old glass Fenwick Flippin' Stick. Customer is very pleased.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 19, 2006 11:47AM

Personally, the minuscule weight gain in the butt area is not enough to prevent me from exclusively using Burl or wood. Andy's stuff is worth the extra weight. I primarily use split grips anyway. If weight is a real concern, overbore the cork and use Flexcoat arbors inside your Burl or wood. You can get some amazingly light grips this way

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 02:59PM

Simple Spiral wrap the rod and that will help also-if you haven't already planning on doing that.

DR

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2006 06:39PM

I would not worry about the weight of the handle on a stout flipping stick like that... a balenced rod will wear you out less at the end of the day than a lighter one with the regular cork that is not as balenced.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2006 10:49AM

Gary - that is an excellent point!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster