I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sliding lightweight guide source for telescoping rods?
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: August 16, 2006 09:50AM

I've got some prototype ideas I want to try out. They're inspired by some of the inexpensive telescoping rods on the market. Some of those rods rely on guides mounted to plastic sleeves that slide into place and are held by friction, while still allowing all the sections to be collapsed into each other for transport. I know I can make my own with small pieces of scrap blank and single foot guides and I may do just that. But, in the interest of time and experimenting with some different set-ups, I wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can buy some of those cheap sliding guides that would be suitable for prototype use.

Also, when I was in France several years ago, tackle shops sold bare telescoping blanks without handles or guides. The ones I saw in France seemed to be high quality, light and responsive graphite blanks, not like the heavy and clumsy blanks used on discount store specials here. I even bought one but traded it away before I got into rodbuilding. Anyone know if those are available anywhere in the US.

Before I get lots of questions about why I would want to do this when there are 6 and 7 piece tip-over-butt blanks available, let me respond. The answer is that I am bored and I want to try something different.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sliding lightweight guide source for telescoping rods?
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: August 16, 2006 11:09AM

I see them on internet @#$%& occasionally, as recent as last week. I got the impression that the guides were mounted to a rubber/band/oring type sleeve and held on by compression not friction but I'm probably mistaken. Anyway, internet @#$%& are the only place I've seen them.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2006 11:19AM

The best telescoping rods have traditional wrapped SIC guides from the factory.

Mo

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2006 11:33AM

Steve; Have you looked at a Fuji catalog? I seem to recall something on the order of what you are looking for there. You might try their web site.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: August 16, 2006 11:48AM

Fuji T1LMGG - for the top of the line in Titanium gold Cermet Telescoping guides, lol!!

OK, OK, the FUji guide designations for their Telescoping guide are as follows:
LM, and LA, and LM-H which are their high frames
ULM with a matching UL tip top (I think these would be ideal for ligt FW rods so the line cannot tangle on the tip.

The standard Fuji Tele guides are the:
TM and TA, as well as teh MM and WM. Teh WFM guide is their collapsing high framed telescoping guide.

don't forget the WWM and UM

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: August 16, 2006 12:45PM

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure I was going to get any responses to this one.

Billy, can you give me a link to an online catalog? I can't find any of the guides you mentioned at Angler's Resource/Fuji up top

Mo, do you know of an internet picture of the rods you mention. WIthout having the sections each about 5-9" long, I'm trying to picture how the guides could be permanently wrapped in place and still be telescoping. I guess the sections just partially, not completely, collapse?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: August 16, 2006 01:48PM

I don't have a link to the website, search for Fuji Components, Fuji Japan fishing, something along those lines. I have a 2006 Fuji Print catalouge. None of that stuff is available from any US Distributor, only frm a hook up place overseas.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 02:01AM

Steve,

Can you e-mail me with your e-mail? I'll try to take some pictures in a couple of days to send to you along with a mini review. Bsically, a 6' 7" medium power telescopic with 8 SIC guides, collapses to 12 inches long (no kidding) and weighing sub 3.5 ounces. Really amazed what technology has come to with these telescopics. Nice soft tip, but very solid power in the mid and butt.

Mo

Posted by: Charles Clayton (60.227.158.---)
Date: August 17, 2006 04:40AM

BassPro Shops sell them,I have no idea as to the quality.
Regards Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster