I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan Locking Wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:44PM

Just curious is the Forhan wrap just as good on double leg guides as single leg guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan Locking Wrap
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:48PM

There is no reason to use it on double foot guides - each foot, due to being opposed to the other, keeps the other from being pulled out of the wrap.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:51PM

Thanks Tom

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:53PM

You wouldn't be able to wrap around the guide leg and then do the security wraps as the othe foot would be in the way

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:10PM

Mike,
I've actually done re-wraps of snake guides that incorporated wraps inside of the snake guides. My removal process caused some scratching so when I wrapped the snakes back on, I added three thread turns inside the snake guide, both sides of the snake. This allowed me to hide the scratches, though a little bit of extra epoxy was necessary. I simply inserted my tie-off loop in the normal manner, wrapped thread up to the point where the snake guide departed from the blank, severed my wrapping thread long enough for me to insert under the snake guide for three wraps and pulled through with my loop. Scratches hidden. No Forhan locking wrap incorporated.

Jeff

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:10PM

You can definitely rip a double foot guide out of a wrap, but the force required to do it usually ruins the guide anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:20PM

I've known rod builders who only make one wrap per double footed guide - they just wrap up the foot, pry up the other, slip the thread under, make one wind in the middle of the guide, then start back down the other foot. I guess it saves having to do two starts and two tie-offs. Not for me personally, but I do know some who do it that way.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.8-67.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:37PM

Bill Colby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can definitely rip a double foot guide out of
> a wrap, but the force required to do it usually
> ruins the guide anyway.

EXACTLY............... that is why I've stop double wrapping guides

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:52PM

Just seems like an awful lot of extra work for dubious benefits!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.113.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 10:46PM

I've seen some of those single wraps on double foots. It just looks bad to me, like a cheap shortcut. No offense intended to anybody who does this and not implying that it is any technically worse than restarting and working up the other foot... I just don't care for it. Looks "factory" to me.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2006 04:08AM

It would seem to me to be a lot of work for something you really don.t need. It was designed for a bit of insurence on a single leg guide.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2006 06:07AM

When I wrap double foot guides I wrap all the guides left to right, turn the rod around on the wrapper, then wrap the other feet left to right to have the wraps on the feet in different directions for added strength. All of the single foot guides I wrap get the Forhan Locking Wrap. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster