I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning wood grips
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.96.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 07, 2006 05:47PM

I have a question, but I wanted to recount an experience I had recently turning a wood grip.

I had bored a hole in a 8 inch piece of maple and mounted it on one of Andy Dear's mandrels. For some reason the hole in the piece fit too loosely on the mandrel. I tried a piece of masking tape, but it was too thick. I sent an e-mail to Andy and he suggested using a dab of 5 minute expoxy at each end of the piece. I tried that and it broke free. I then tried wrapping some size A thread with a thin coat of Color Lock to hold it in place, but this was also too thick to for the piece to fit over.

I finally decided to smear some Gudebrod 811 on the mandrel where the ends of the wood piece would be. Unfortunatley this too failed. My last attempt was to place the 811 on the mandrel and let it set for 20 minutes. I then slid my wood piece on. This time I could feel the wood piece gripping as I twisted it on. I turned it forming a Ritz-Gordon style grip and was admiring what I did well and what I needed to work on. I then tried to remove the newly formed grip and found it was a no go. I suspect many of you are now laughing at my stupid idea of using 811 CP.

I decided to drill a whole through a piece of scrap and then place that over the grip on the mandrel and tap it off. Once again, it remained an immovable object. I decided to put the mandrel back in the lathe and used a parting tool to remove about one quarter of an inch from the top of the grip since the grip was a bit oversized and this was the point where most of the 811 was placed. This worked. With some effort I was able to twist the grip off of the mandrel. Certainly color preserver is a lot stronger than we give it credit for. I wondered if it could permanently bond a grip to a rod blank. However, I also remembered how hard it was to get the grip in place after allowing the CP to dry and suspect this would not be a good idea.

My question arises from a different source. I did some inlays on a maple piece by drilling holes in the wood piece before turning and then turning wlanut dowels to fit in the holes. I then glued the dowels in place cut them flush and turned the piece on the lathe. When I finished sanding, I discovered that the face of the dowels showed many lighter gray spots from the grain. This detracts from the overall beauty of the grip. I was wondering if I used a dowel jig to cut out the dowels so the grain will run the same way with the grain in the grip that this problem would be solved. I am asking, because I don't want to buy a set of dowel jigs and find I haven't solved the problem. I also have an ancillary question. Is there an easy way to drill holes at angle so that I will get ellipses rather than circles? I don't have a drill press.

As always, I thank you for your suggestions.

Mike Blomme

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning wood grips
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2006 05:56PM

Yes, somewhat. You're combining end grain with side grain when you do things that way and the difference certainly will show.

I believe a "pocket hole jig" might allow you to drill plugs or dowels at an angle, but you'd still have to use a bit that would allow the plug or dowel to be removed. Should be some way to do this with all the various tools available these days. I'm sure somebody will fill you in or you could call the nearest WoodCraft or similar type woodworking store and ask.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: August 07, 2006 06:09PM

Mike,
FYI, We have some mandrels that were specifically designed for turning wood, which are similiar in design to a pen turning mandrel. If youre interested, please let me know....it will solve your problem ( the first one we spoke about via email).

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.43.96.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 07, 2006 07:41PM

Tom,
The dowel jigs are differnt than pocket hole jigs. They are designed to make small dowels that would fit in holes. The pocket hole jigs can be used to drill at an angle, but they seemed designed to put holes in miter cuts around windows and doors. They also have a fixed angle. I have seen a drill stand that allows you to vary the angle and I might try one. There are drill presses that have moveable tables and that might be the best way.

This is the problem with rod building. Every time you choose to do something new like turning wood grips, your imagination leads you to invent some new exotic way of enhancing the basic process adding to the way rod builders make rods. It is also energizing--and hopefully will help fend off any dementia for us old timers. Thanks for your comments.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 07, 2006 09:28PM

Andy's new mandrels are the only way to go. I love them (must be because they are idiot proof) Her's a pic I just posted [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster