I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

super grouper rod
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 09:30PM

Need some help here.

Selecting a grouper rod for fishing in Straits of Melacca in West Malayia. Estimated size of the giant cod(as Aussies call 'em) is about 300 pounds or so in between 250-300 feet of water. We fish in the asian bottom fishing style with rods in the rod holders. We need to stop the fish from going back into the wrecks. What rods would you guys use? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: super grouper rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.fleet.navy.mil)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:27PM

Japanese solid glass blank... blank alone usually retails for 200-300 dollars or so. SIC turbo type guides. I have one built like this and have caught up to 466lb sharks and 400+lb goliath grouper.

Tried fishing this way with a 50-130lb standup tuna blank, but snapped it in half.

[www.alligator-usa.com]

This is the link to a company that sells the complete rods (not blanks), (I created the site yes I am sort of affiliated). Unfortunately, this place does not sell blanks only, but will give you a bit of an idea what the blanks look like.

There isn't a lot of rods that can handle fishing Japanese style, locked in the rodholders with cranked drags and up to 300lb braid. The solid fiberglass blanks have some give but are still strong enough not to snap. This is pretty dangerous fishing in Japan... fishing rods holders get ripped off boat, reels get ripped off.... fishing some serious drag. Some guys use Fin-nor 80's and lock the drags down as far as they can go.

Phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2006 01:24AM by Phil Richmond.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 31, 2006 12:35AM

CCG - Transportation wise, what is your maximum allowable rod length? Do you need a 2-piece blade, or will you use a metal or hard butt + a one-piece blade above a ferruled reel seat? or what other options may you consider, transportability wise? Malaysia is a long way from Chicago, no? ... LOL, -Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 07:00AM

Take a 14' Surf rod and cut 12' off, that should work, lol!!

Date: July 31, 2006 04:09PM

Thanks a lot Billy!!!! :)

Cliff, I have no idea what you mean abut 2-piece blades.
Phil, you gave me the info I need in the website. Thanks.

Date: July 31, 2006 07:44PM

Tw Question Phil, what company was your standup blank from and what are the line poundage ratings on the Alligator Rods? I can't use commercialy made rods because of my very weird physical build. Thanks.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (210.81.201.---)
Date: August 01, 2006 07:11AM

My standup was a Penn International Tuna Stick. Not exactly meant to fight fish out of rod holders.

The Alligator rods are rated up to PE 30 or so, which is about 300lb line. The stuff is like rope. There are some other companies that sell only blanks, Alligator does not cater to the rod builders. The Alligator rods are beautiful, but very spendy (around 800-1,000 dollars) depending on the model.

Here in Japan they have rod holders that are made specifically for fighting the fish out of. I thought it was pretty gay at first, but then I found out that that the fish they are targeting (moroko), some charter boats only land one fish a year. They don't want to take any chances of it getting its head down and getting into the rocks, so they fish very heavy tackle very deep and still get rocked up.

Phil

Date: August 01, 2006 12:00PM

Thanks Phil...My search continues!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster