I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank Decals
Posted by: Brian Lynch (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 04:24PM

I recently purchased several Calstar Blanks and although the blanks are labelled with a yellow paper sticker on the butt I didn't receive any blank specific decal to apply to the rod for future identification. Does Calstar supply these or do I need to do something different. Thanks
Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank Decals
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 04:38PM

They may or may not give you a MFG logo lable, you have to check with them directly, Pac Bay does not offer theirs when they farm their product out to other distributors to sell under their own name, and even at that theses distributors don't give you a label. Then some builders don't want their name on a rod they build, but for warranty sake its certyainly nice to have. You can make up a thread bracketed lable area incorporating a hook keeper on one end, fish decal on the other with the hand written buyers name and your initials, with the MFG name and blank number along with any other pertiant details necessary to fill up the space alloted, but it takes some practice writing on a round blank.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 29, 2006 04:40PM

Decal Connection, sponsor on the left, will whip up a great decal for you!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:22PM

Brian,

Due to the number of generic blanks being wrapped and SOLD as Calstar's, Leon won't let spec. decals out of the Barn anymore. Furthermore, Decal Connection can't/won't print "Calstar" on a decal any more. Part#, line/lure weight etc... only.

Calstar does make a Black & Gold decal with a Red, White & Blue logo available to authorized dealers upon request. Ask yours.

Here's a photo of it ---> [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2006 05:36PM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:29PM

Decal Connection (or any other decal maker) cannot reproduce any blank names without written permission. I was referring to the blank info such as length, power, action, lure wgt, etc. If the mfr won't give you one (or permission to have decal made) just don't use the blank name. I never use mfr's decals anyway. I prefer my own.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 02:06AM

I would use a quile pen and practice lettering. I think it makes the rod more personal,
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Brian Lynch (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: July 31, 2006 01:54PM

It's a shame that Calstar doesn't issue a blank specific decal for each blank. I built a 4 rod trolling spread using 3 different blanks but all wrapped identical. It would be nice to have a factory decal with the blank specs for each rod. I guess I'll have to either have some fabricated like Mike and Mark suggested or get fancy and use a quill pen like Bob suggested although I would hate to have my chicken scratch detracting from a nice looking rod. Oh well, I hope the blanks live up to their reputation because the small details like lack of identifying decal will give me incentive to checkout the other manufacturers' products a little more readily. Thanks
Brian

I did try a make a decal using a Brother P Touch but the tape backing took on a cloudy appearance when applied (no Flexcoat applied). The decal looked professional enough. Anyone have any experience using a P Touch?

Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 10:13AM

Maybe the different companies dont do that because of copyrights or something? I am just taking an educated guess here. But that would seem the most logical explanation as to why they wouldnt. Also, most people that build rods want to make them "their own" by adding their own decal from their company or w/ their name on it at least. Just so people know who made the rod. Or who customized it I should say. Like I said, I am just guessing, so correct me if I am wrong.

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster