I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gutermann Thread
Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: July 27, 2006 06:14PM

I did a search of this particular brand and there weren't many threads about this thread (pun intended). (http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,172040,172106)

The reason I looked into this was because of its availability where I live and it was 100% polyester (Gutermann Sew-All thread) and they also have metallics.

One thing about the metallics is that apparently Sulky and Gutermann have combined (one owns the other perhaps?) and the Gutermann metallics are now the same as Sulky metallics.

I emailed the local Gutermann representative asking for a colour chart (I had already bought a few colours to test out from my local sewing shops and liked the looks of it) and a few days later I received a package consisting of a proper colour chart from their Sew-All range (proper meaning it was the actual thread on the chart and not printed on) and also received a chart with their metallic (along with rayon and cotton) range. Unfortunately the metallic chart was just printed on, but the metallic colours look pretty much like they are in real life anyway.

The best thing about the Sew-All range was the amount of colours, there was a total of 400 (I think Madeira "only" has 320).

So perhaps now we have another contender in the thread department for butt wraps (maybe guide wraps too, who knows?).

I haven't done any tests such as strength, epoxy finish adhesion (fish-eyes etc), but will be as soon as I can. In terms of size, the metallic seems smaller than Gudebrod size A, and the Sew-All thread also seemed slightly smaller than Gudebrod size A.

Note that I don't have any affiliation with Gutermann, but I'd thought I'd post this thread to bring up the possibility of another thread that can be used in Rod Building.

Also I'd suggest that people don't abuse their goodwill in terms of getting the colour charts (I guess that's why Madeira no longer send out theirs for free), but I'd definately be interested in hearing other peoples experiences with this thread also.

I know this was a bit of a convoluted thread, but hopefully you'll get my points.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gutermann Thread
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.0.114.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 07:29PM

I haven't seen their metallics, but a while back I was shopping for thread in JoAnn's while chewing gum at the same time and grabbed up a bunch of Gutterman poly on sale, thinking it was Sulky. When I got home and started playing, all of the spools turned out to be all but unusable because I've seen yarn that is less fuzzy than this stuff. Maybe I just got some bad spools but it was pretty nasty stuff to work with.

Really looking forward to any tests you do though, especially on the metallics, since most all the sewing stores here stopped carrying Sulky. Maybe I'll go back this weekend though and see if they have any better looking stuff this time around.

Posted by: Michael Shea (203.57.223.---)
Date: July 27, 2006 07:36PM

To be honest, I think the metallics will be absolutely fine (with the usual caveats such as CP may be needed etc). I was just looking at the Sulky metallics on Mudhole, and apart from the words Sulky printed at the top, the Gutermann thread (and spool etc) looks identical to the Sulky thread.

I'm hoping the normal polyester thread will turn out ok but I don't really want to experiment using that on my latest blank (G. Loomix S842-2 IMX). I'll have to test it on one of my older blanks (I don't have any scrap blank pieces to test stuff on).

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 08:37PM

I have tried a few spools of Gutermann but it doesn't work well if put through a thread tensioner like Flex Coat's. It becomes very fuzzy where as Madeira's doesn't. I started using it in weaves and it worked ok. I now use Madeira. Stay away from any rayon thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster