I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions on a yellow fin 80 lb butt
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 01:46PM

Going to build an 80 lb 5'5 yellow fin tuna stick. I was wondering what the suggested butt set up would be. Slick butt, uni-butt or blank thought construction using a sleeve.. Looking for the article on boat rods, don't know if I have it ?? Got to find out weather it will be fished from a chair or belt.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions on a yellow fin 80 lb butt
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 03:29PM

Volume 5 Number 6 is almost a must if you are plowing new ground with this type of rod. It answers all of the questions you have listed. If you do not have the issue and Tom is out send me an email. I just purchased a number of copies for distribution to the customers. The five by five probably was not intended to be used in a chair. This set of this type rod is quite important and highly personalized. In this case personalized does not mean intricate thread work.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 05:01PM

Bill
I found the issue.

Will the American @#$%& roller guides work as in a spin fashin, all at the 180 ? Guy said he is going to use a spin reel but wants rollers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 05:13PM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 27, 2006 05:49PM

Bill B: There is a chance that your customer is searching for a Japanese style vertical jigging rod. At this time I do not have any experience building one - waiting on blanks. I took a look at the site and see no example of roller guides being used with a spinning reel - they are all ring guides.

I build only conventional spiral wrapped standups to be used with reels on top and have used the American Roller @#$%& tops only and like them a lot. Be sure and get all of this straight with your customer up front - let him read the magazine too!

Here is a link to some of the vertical rods available from Asian suppliers.

[www.anglers-proshop.com]

When you build one see if you can get the price up to the range listed on the web site.

Gon Fishn

Date: July 27, 2006 05:53PM

It did not make sence to me either ?? maybe one or two ring guides to tame the pig tails, or ring guides and the roller top ? Hummmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 06:16PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 06:16PM

Bill,

Scott Throop has done the roller/spin set-up using AA @#$%& for the new Accurate spinner and probably has photos in the gallery. Drop him a note, he's quite friendly and doesn't mind sharing his knowledge.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2006 06:20PM by Mark Griffin.

Date: July 27, 2006 06:24PM

Thanks Mark. I shoot him an e-mail.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: July 28, 2006 04:04PM

Yep, Scott has done the ring/roller spinner hybird. Nice look.

I would guess (and am probably right) that if the angler asked for a 5'6" rod, then he does not intend on putting it in a chair gimbal...as long as he knows what he's talking about. A 5'6" rod is way too short for a chair rod unless of course you're mounting that entire length to a UB4 aluminum butt. That will extend the total length by alot.

For stand up fishing I stay away from aluminum butts unless the customer insists.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.75.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 04:20PM

Talked to the guy a little while ago and seems he had givin me the wrong type rod. He does want a " conventional " cast tuna stick ?? Go figure. That spin roller rod was very interesting.

Date: July 28, 2006 05:51PM

Bill you may be talking to a guy that wants to throw poppers to the little fisheys. This is a common way to fish around oil platforms at night. It is really a hoot but the 5 foot rod is not the deal for that type of fishing. Most guides will have two types of rod available. Tuna sticks for stand ups with conventional reels and seven foot heavy duty spinning rods for the poppers. You are in the negotiation stage and really need to figure out what will turn your customer on in the right direction.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: July 29, 2006 03:39AM

I'm at a loss as to what exactly your client is looking for. A few questions are in order. How is he going to fish this rod? What kind/type of baits will he be using? This will help clear things up a bit...at least for me.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.36.11.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:32AM

The rod will be for yellow fin tuna. " stand up " Conventional cast. With that Reading Toms article on boat rods, I was thinking for ease of fighting the fish a 5 ft will be better. All American guides in a spiral. A tuf butt would be essayer, but there are no options for a nice colored aluminum seat, so I am thinking a colored nylon butt sleeve, over graphite arbors, colored Gimbel, matching the seat,
Also do the All American work well with " wire line " ?

Now again if he is chartering the boat out for customers maybe the extra 6" would work better for customers that will be slamming the rod onto the boat ?

Then since the American tops don't swivel, a conventional cast with a swivel top would work nice for fast moving fish ?? Toooo many options ???? He did say he has had a problem with fish darting from side to side.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2006 09:13AM by bill boettcher.

Date: July 30, 2006 02:41PM

Aluminum reel seats come in all colors and sizes. Wire line is normally trolling. Yellow fin dart three ways -own/down/down. If it is for a charter get black stuff. American @#$%& Roller top available to match rest of color for spiral wrap. He will probably want clearance for 10 foot flurocarbon leader. Be real picky about seat size and location as well as foregrip material and length. If you bought a fast taper stand up pay attention to the article in Rodmaker on guide locations. The fast taper blanks are built in the lengths what need to be used for a build. If you cut 6 inches from one yhou will be changing the name of the game for that particular blank design. Just curious what blank did you land on?

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: July 30, 2006 04:21PM

What I'm trying to figure out is the term 'conventional cast' when talking about a 5' 80# rod. Does he want to cast with a rod that stiff and short? I can't quite figure out the use of this rod. I can promise you one thing however...this guy won't be casting with wire line!

Bill Stevens is correct on the darting action of a tunafish...down, down, down...that's it. With 80# tackle I'm under the assumption that this guy is going after some heafty fish. Those fish will be swimming in a tight circle when you get them up to the boat. If they dart, it will generally only be in the downward direction.

Aluminum reel seats come in a rainbow of colors these days. Let your imagination run wild.

The only time I would use an aluminum butt on my personal standup rods would be if I wanted a bent butt. Otherwise I'm the kind of guy that likes to use an 8" slick butt. This will result in a final product that will be approximatly 2" shorter than a comparable unibutt. This is just something I like.

What type of blank will you be using? What reel is this guy going to put on the seet? Exactly what type line will he be running? In another thread you are asking about a swivel top. Is that for this rod?

This customer has me all confused! Thanks.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.21.95.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:19PM

Now what I am thinking is ( conventional ) guides on top ! Aftco's HD rollers. With a swivel top. That shouild take care of that. Tuff Butt. Then we make it pretty ??!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster