I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is my CC data for 13' Talon and 13' Lamiglas correct?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2006 09:48AM

While waiting for my 13' Lamiglas Certified Pro blank to arrive, I picked up a 13' Talon ITM as well. My thinking was to use the Talon (4-8 line, 1/8 - 1/4 oz)) for Steelhead and the Lamiglas (6-10 line, 1/4 - 1/2 oz) for Light Salmon.

After receiving the Lamiglas, it's butt diameter and weight appeared to be that of the smaller weight Lamiglas also offers but their customer service told me they had improved on their processes and the new lighter blank had the same rating as before.

But both blanks took exactly 49 pennies to deflect 1/3 their length (or 52" inches). I remember reading some where the "sag" in the blank at horizontal should be considered as "weight" while deflecting the blank 1/3 of it's length. But the tip of the Lamiglas sags 6 1/2" with the butt at horizontal so it only took 49 pennies to deflect it the additional 45 1/2". Is this the correct procedure?

At 49 cents each, both blanks have an ERN of 6.22 and a meer 3/64 - 1/8 oz lure weight. I'll probably peddle one of the blanks since they have the identical rating. I'm concerned whether I have followed the CC guidelines correctly to arrive at my findings. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is my CC data for 13' Talon and 13' Lamiglas correct?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2006 10:55AM

Yes that is the correct procedure. The blank must carry and deal with its own weight as well. Thus, it is part of the equation.

Date: July 09, 2006 11:36AM

Thanks Tom. I went back through the CCS article and under the additional info section for CCS tips, I found where you need to find both the high point and the low point of the blank and take 1/2 of the distance from the total deflection. So I found the high and low point of each of the three peices, aligned them together and found a difference of 1 5/8" difference between the two. So I rotated the blank 90 degrees to the mid point (it came up exactly half - duh) and continued my deflection test but it only took 47 cents this time making it slightly lighter than before. I'm really disappointed how the Lamiglas turned out, I don't think an ERN of 5.94 with a 3/64-1/8 oz lure rating is going to catch very many Salmon. Thanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: July 09, 2006 02:03PM

Tim,
Were the action angles (AA) similar for both blanks?

Date: July 09, 2006 02:32PM

Spencer - the Talon had about a 65 degree AA and the Lamiglas was a bit less at 62 degrees.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.nas32.washington2.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2006 04:21PM

Tim, while the CCS is "correct" in helping you determine a power and action rating for a blank, I would not necessarily be disappointed with the data you have. I'll give a couple examples. I have a fly rod that I have owned for about 20 years. It's rated as a 7wt. and only has an ERN of 4.9. But I fish it with a 7wt. line and love it. It excels at river smallmouth fishing with streamers. Another example...I built a steelhead fly rod for a friend based on a design from a famous steelhead guide around the Great Lakes. It is a St. Croix spinning steelhead blank built as a fly rod as the guide/rodbuilder recommends. It only has an ERN of 4.16 but my friend, who had fished steelhead in the Great Lakes tribs for over 25 years says it's by far the best steelhead rod he has ever used. I would suggest that if the blank comes highly recommended by anglers/builders for that purpose, have no worries and just build it and fish it. Personally, I think a lot of modern rods have more power than necessary to fish well. 20 years ago fishermen were fishing the same lines and lures with rods that had significantly less power. That's a fact.

I love the CCS and am very pleased to have it as a tool to help me. But, I never use it to "tell" me what line or lure to fish. I use it to compare power and action to rods that I already know and understand. Just like Dr. Bill says, no description of power or action means anything without something to compare it to. I use it to compare, not to prescribe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster