I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP application question
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: July 07, 2006 09:08AM

Hi All,

I applied a coat of CP (Flex Coat) to an open wrap last night. The coat went on straight, I did not cut the CP at all. It appears that on the wrap itself the CP is fine but on the bare blank I have some imperfections that will look a bit tacky after I apply the finish. I have seen this before. Should I be preparing / cleaning the blank in some manner before wrapping and/or applying the CP?

Thanks

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP application question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2006 11:33AM

What exactly happened on the blank? What are you terming an "imperfection?"

Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: July 07, 2006 12:21PM

I would say that as the CP dried it almost looks as if a few small bubbles formed and then "popped" leaving a small blemish.

Jim

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: July 07, 2006 01:18PM

Jim - When doing an OPEN WRAP with NO UNDERWRAP Thread, you do NOT NEED to apply any Color Preserver (CP) to the BARE ROD BLANK in the open spaces between the pattern where there is no Thread. The CP will not do the bare rod blank any good whatsoever. B)-

CP in this circumstance may do just what you have described - have a bit of a hard time drying. What to do now is a little hard to say. If removable by simple wiping or scraping off with a tooth pick, that is the way to go, IMO. It is a bit tedious, but will give better results in the long run, and give you a chance to remove those imperfections you mentioned (whatever they were).

So, if the CP’s Adhesion to the rod blank is poor at this stage, remove the CP at your first convenience. If the CP's adhesion to the rod blank is too good or gummy, then you may need to wait another 24-48 hours to let it harden after a warm-air treatment from a low or medium setting on a hair-dryer. Resist the temptation to use a solvent to aid in the CP’s removal. You do not want to wet the CP on your Thread with a solvent that may turn it white or wipe off the CP from the border Threads in your Pattern.

Once the CP is dry, then cover the Open Space with Epoxy Thread Finish (ETF) when you are ready to encase the Threads-Pattern itself. This 2nd-Last option may not be so bad or so distant a 2nd choice if you are planning on applying so much FlexCoat ETF as to high-build & “level” the Open Spaces with the Height of the Thread in the Pattern.

In the future, do not apply the CP or ETF to the bare rod blank in an Open Wrap that has no underwrap. ... If you do want to apply the ETF to the entire Butt Wrap, to better seal and encase the Pattern and / or to create a level finish height thru-out the Pattern, then a light scuffing of the Rod Blank BEFORE YOU START BUTT-WRAPPING would be in order.

Fortunately for you at this stage, FlexCoat has a better track record than most other ETFs for decent adhesion to a bare rod blank. ... Just be apprised of the risks of poor adhesion, which is a little hard to predict from here. ... Good Luck, … Cliff Hall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2006 01:22PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2006 05:45PM

You may find that those little areas simply disappear under the epoxy. You could always try a test stick with a similar appearance so you'll know what to expect.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.143.47.92.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 12:20AM

Jim, i wrap a lot of spiral wraps on my rods for decoration, and have cp on the rod blank in the open parts of the wrap, as Tom says the imperfections , as you call them usually disappear after applying the epoxy. Try a couple tests. Good luck..........Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster