I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Should I include "New Guide Concept" for my float rod spacing?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2006 08:16PM

I'm getting ready to set up my static test guide placement on a 13' Talon blank for Steelhead and a bit heavier 13' Lamiglas for Salmon using the same Islander Steelheader centerpin for both. I'll use 7mm Fuji TLSG running guides on both rods, the heavier TYSG guides on the Lami and the lighter TATSG guides on the Talon.

I plan to start with the guide spacings that Scott Hovanic supplied me that his Talon was built to. I'm sure I can get the 7mm TLSG guides spaced out properly on the upper sections but should I try to get the lower TATSG and TYSG guides aligned in a straight line from the centerpin to my last 7mm running guide similar to the New Guide Placement for spinning rods? It would seem to me if a straight line from the reel to the last running guide touched the outermost inside edge of the ring on the lower guides, it would facilitate a smooth line flow during the drift - yeah or nay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should I include "New Guide Concept" for my float rod spacing?
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 01:52AM

Tim...

In my limited experience with building float rods, (about a dozen or so now) I would not operate under the concept guide system. I may be missing something about it but, the only thing I can think that would facilitate smooth line flow "DURING" the drift, is the position of the tip of the rod in relation to your float.

If your rod is at a 45 degree angle to the float and the current, the concept system would have not one eye-oda of effect on the drift. If your rod tip was parralell with the current and pointing at your float as it is drifting downstream it MAY. But the difference would hardly noticable. However, the small diameter mainline we use, and the type of casting we do I don't think has any bearing on having a smooth drift. Sounds like the guides you are using will faciliate a smooth line flow due to the high quality of them. I hope this makes sense to ya....

I just built (2) Chinook rods from spey blanks. One 14' 9/10 Forecast, and one 13' 8/9 Forcast. I used the Batson VS3 guides on them and the rods were a hit! The rods landed 20-50# Chinooks with no problem-especially the 14' er.

Anyway, good luck...

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2006 07:47AM

I would think that anytime your line, coming in or going out, doesn't have to ride the usual roller coaster of up and down guide placement, you'd be better off.

I would utilize the New Guide Concept if possible. It certainly won't hurt anything and might make paying out or retrieving line just a tad smoother.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 01:04PM

I think Tom has a point-Boy I have a lot to learn! lol Thats what makes this so fun..

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 02:57PM

Thanks Tom, "roller coaster" action is exactly what I had on my mind but all I could think could think of was "bio-rhythm" and didn't think that would fly very far. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster