I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about underwraps....
Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 05, 2006 06:18PM

I have a question about doing an underwrap. On my next project I will be doing one. But my question is this....how on earth do you know where the center line is and the intersection points are? Do you lightly mark on top of the underwrap or how exactly does that all work? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks
Lori :)

wishn i was fishn...at the beach! <*)}}}><

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about underwraps....
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 05, 2006 07:09PM

Lori, one of the great tips I've heard was setting up a guide wrap on an index card and keeping them on file. You can mark where you want an under wrap to start and finish in relation to the guide feet, where the centerline is in relation to the guide feet, trim band locations, etc...you can bring the card back up as a reference when placing a guide into position.

The best guide wraps I've ever seen are those done by Hiro Tanaka. He's precise and measures by the millimeter, and it does make a difference in my opinion.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 05, 2006 08:02PM

Lori,
Are you talking about an underwrap on a guide or butt wrap? If you're talking about your friends trout rod, you might want to skip underwraps as the extra weight would be a hinderance to performance.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 05, 2006 08:19PM

I think she's referring to an underwrap on a butt wrap. You really can't mark the underwrap with anything other than a pencil - ink pens could run or even absorb and spread into the underwrap thread, showing through.

I have done butt wraps for many, many years making my center marks on a piece of size A NCP White thread. Then I tape these "alignment" threads to the blank on opposing axii and start my wrap. After a few passes, I make sure that my centers are accurate and that everything is in a straight line. Then, I snip the alignment threads at each end (or in several shorter sections if you prefer) and pull them out from under the wrap.

Date: June 05, 2006 08:28PM

Thank you! Very great advice! That helps me A LOT. And, yes I was talking about doing an underwrap on my friend's trout rod. You guys are the best help ever! What a world of info. you are!

Thanks,
Lori

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 06, 2006 07:03AM

If it is the underwrap on a buttwrap, I would coat it with CP or Permagloss and then mark it with a china marker or white out pen (what I use). On a guide wrap, the index card method can't be beat. I don't do underwraps anymore, but I do a fair amount of false underwraps. Same look but less thread/weight. Put the guide on a card and mark where you want to start, stop, centerpoint, and you are good to go.

Date: June 06, 2006 08:52AM

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: June 06, 2006 09:25AM

On guide wraps I put them in place. Then on the outer edge I put 1/4" tape to mark them. Take off and do the under wrap. CP if being used and permagloss for a nice hard finish that is good to wrap over.
Butt wraps the same. making with the china maker or do the centers on paper then transfer onto the butt wrap using a good adjustable compass with sharp pointers. First pass of thread is then checked and adjusted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster