I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reaming cork handles question
Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 04:29PM

Hi,

First I want to thank all those of you who have helped me learn a great deal about this wonderful addiction by sharing your knowledge and posting suggestions. I just can't seem to stop!

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about reaming out cork handles and arbors so that they stay true and not have the hole go off center? It seems like it's hit and miss for me as I only am set up to do the reaming and fitting by hand. I realize that shaping the handle right on the blank would solve some of that problem, but I am not ready to invest in that kind of set up just yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reaming cork handles question
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 05:05PM

Dave,

Here is what I am doing. After I glue the rings, I use a FC bit with the 1/4" tube over the tip and drill the rings prior to using my reamers. Since I started drilling the rings I have had no troubles.

Hope this helps, it works for me.

rhr

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 05:45PM

As Ralph said the Flex Coat pilot bits really help, they also make a jig with tips so you can make your own. Sure speeds up the process. Mudhole has some pretty good prices on the bits, or the jig and tips. They should last for many years on cork and arbors.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 06:17PM

Dave, Are you using preformed grips or glueing up you own and then shaping them??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 06:35PM

Mike,

Right now I am using preformed as I don't have a lathe set up to turn my own grips.

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Posted by: Mel Baldwin (---.fmtc.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 08:08PM

Dave,
I ream preformed cork handles by eye. One trick I tried was to center the butt section of the blank over the hole in the corresponding end of the preformed handle( butt end blank to butt end handle). I then took a very sharp pencil & drew a circle around the blank so that I had a circle around the hole in the handle. If the circle looked to be centered then I used the circle as a reference guide while I reamed the hole. I have been using a file to ream the holes. Probably not the best tool to do the job. There are reamers available that are like a section of rod with grit on them. They even come with an eva handle or you can make your own. I just use a round file (they come in different sizes), take my time & do a lot of checking when I get the hole close to the right size. Hope this helps.
Mel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 27, 2006 08:48PM

What you might try is to get some round files and cut the tang (square end ) off. Chuck the file into a drill and stick the drill in a vise with the file pointing up. This will allow you to lower the grip down the file. You can gdo a pretty good job of centering it this way. When power reaming with a file, run the drill in REVERSE to avoid seizing.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas88.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 10:39PM

To keep the hole true you are going to need several reamers of different sizes. You can make these out of scrap blank sections. Then either turn in the handle by hand or use a drill slow and check or heat often. The heat can soften the glue that holds the grit or sanding strips.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 12:12AM

Dave,

The FlexCoat drill bits will probably help out a lot. You can actually make your own using various spade bits, some 1/4 inch sleeves from Ace Hardware, a Dremel with cut-off wheel, epoxy and a rubber mallet to tap the sleeves into position. Look at pictures to get an idea of what's required. Wear eye protection.

Stan

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: May 28, 2006 09:16AM

Dave... I'm a recent convert to the method Mike Barkley describes. Go slow and make sure you run the drill in reverse. The files are cheap and available everywhere. The file tang can be sawn off with a hacksaw in about two minutes. I have three Nicholson files and they seem to cover most fly blanks, but if someone knows where we can buy additional sizes of round files please let us know. Regards, Vance

Posted by: tim hough (71.224.112.---)
Date: May 28, 2006 11:58AM

For many years. I would use a long reamer that went thru the full length of the preformed grip. i would then roll the grip on a table with even pressure on the reamer ends. The grip would roll across the table top like rolling out baking dough.. This way I would get an enlarged hole that was centered. Always as accurate as the factory hole it came with.

Hope my experience helps,

Tim

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 01:25AM

When I used a long file by hand I did the same thing as Tim Hough.
Worked perfect every time but the holes were not tapered! Now I use
the reamers I made myself with the reamer tape I got and a spare blank
section. This makes a perfectly tapered hole in seconds and a little care
prevents reaming off center.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 08:11AM

If you want to keep the hole centered use rotation with the correct size tapered reamer. Minimize sawing back and forth with an undersize reamer to keep your hole centered.

It is not mandatory that all rodbuilding tools come from Harbor Freight!

[shop.mudhole.com]

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2006 08:17AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas81.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 29, 2006 12:17PM

I make my own using this and it holds up well [shop.mudhole.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2006 12:21PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 30, 2006 03:03PM

I agree with Bill Steven's point.....I think that the sawing action can be the culprit.

I use old blanks with sandpaper strips (30-60 grit) spriralled down the taper (attached via 5min epoxy)....leaving a space similar to a drill bit. I use a twisting action with only slight pressure. Every so often working the reamer out to clear the cork dust out of the grooves...just like a drill bit. I have seen people use this method and put the reamer in the lathe chuck (not sure I'm rdy to try that yet). I have several of these old blanks turned into reamers and try to match the taper of the reamer to the taper of the blank I am using. I then measure with my calipers the reamer & the blank and wrap a pc of tape at the maximum size needed to ream....then when I ream I stop short of the tape by 3 or 4 inches...check it and it is normally perfect.

I have never had a grip off center using this method.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster