I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Color
Posted by: David May (---.sanfordschool.org)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:38AM

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to lighter thread colors on dark blanks. I have just completed my second rod, and have found that on both rods i got a nice smooth finish on threads, however if I can explain this......after thread finish dries it appears that some thread looks good but in some areas it appears you can see like wetness under the thread. For instance on this last rod I used Gold thread on a olive green rainshadow blank.. I did put one good coat of CP on it. Some areas look nice others it looks like you can see through the gold thread and onto the green blank. I hope this is understandable...

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Color
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:01AM

David how many coats of CP did you put on?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:05AM

Dave for one, light colored threads on dark blanks are always a problem. One solution is to paint the area under the wrap white prior to wrapping, but in your case, it sounds as if you did not pack your threads tight enough. With light colors on a dark blank, you have to pack as you wrap, then burnish well prior to finishing.

I point this out, because you stated that some areas look fine and some areas are not. When this happens, it usually means the wrap was not packed tight enough and not so much a problem with light and dark colors.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: May 18, 2006 07:38AM

Neal I put 2 good wet coats on, and it dried pretty much for like 18 hours i'd say. I was just buzzing through some of the other forum questions that somewhat dealt with this and I think Doug is right with the packing. I usually get the wrap started and just buzz it by hand till the tie off then burnish i am not really packing the wraps as i go. Dou you do that after each wrap or after 3-5 wraps? I guess in my rookie mind i was thinking that burnishing was sorta of doing both at once...packing and such. I just looked real close at it and there are some small gap spots.

Thanks for your input guys

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:18AM

Dave,
I pack after 5 -6 wraps than continue, if you start using silk you'll have some of the same things happen with CP as you dicribed before also.

Date: May 18, 2006 02:18PM

Spencer,

Thanks that will really help i dont know why i havent been doing that...I just assumed that the final burnish would take care of it. I am sure that this will make things look better for sure.

Dave

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 08:37PM

In most situations, what you're doing will work fine: Try to wrap nice and tight, then burnish at the end. But, when you're using light thread on a dark blank, you have to pay really close attention and pack like crazy. Also, if you ever do light thread on a dark blank with no cp, there's another issue that comes up. The areas on either side of the guide foot (i.e. just above your tunnels) will look different--no matter how well you pack--just because there's blank directly underneath that thread everywhere else, but epoxy under it right at the tunnels. It doesn't look bad, just different.

Date: May 19, 2006 12:38PM

Andrew,

I know the look you are talking about..lol. I will remember that now when using light colors on dark blanks. I just received another blank to start it is a Rogue Rod 7' blank in charcoal. I am thinking Candy Apple on it, but then again maybe Cobalt Blue. Did Candy Apple on 6-6 St. Croix black blank, and had similar issue. I am sure it is the packing process...we will see on this next rod.

Thanks again for your help

Dave

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 05:28PM

One other that I had problems with the lighter colors on dark blanks is the CP being a little too thick and virtually sitting on top of the threads and not sealing them all the way through. @#$%& to have that happen on a close wrap you just spent 5 hours or so wrapping. Thinning it a bit helps it sink all the way through.

Date: May 22, 2006 08:36AM

Scott,

Thanks for that info....I did use FC CP on it and loaded it up. It appeared to soak in but likely did not in some areas. I also had some info to try some 811 or another CP instead of FC. So I might also try that.

Thanks again

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster